• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What test kits do you use?

Yes thats it, the one with the strips and app. Its really easy to use and gives you numbers, logs it for you etc so I'm a big fan of it and wish there was other like it. As you've mentioned you can get off readings so you test again and get a more realistic number, so I make sure there is no shadows on the cards and take the picture in the same place to avoid lighting discrepancies. After a while I decided it may be time to try something else I'm leaning towards API Master Test Kit.

This is following on but I dug out JBL Proscan as the API gh test kit had expired.

First strip had colours run a little and results didn’t match too well. Second strip I took more care and the readings matched the api test, ph probes, etc much better.

So it seemed to me that don’t want any colour run or partial shade as well as posted above.

Hi all,
You may feel this lack of distinction is OK, perhaps because you understand the difference, but I find this to be deceptive because the target audience is much less aware of the difference.
I'm with Clive on this one.

Personally I have no doubt that @alto can get accurate measurements for the parameters of his tanks, because he understands the scientific method and knows what he is doing. I'm much less convinced about the majority of people posting test results, and I think nitrate testing is a real issue.

How often have you seen people say "my water is fine, I have 0ppm ammonia, nitrite and nitrate"? You ask a bit further and they don't have any plants or their Duckweed grows amazingly etc.

That is why I like the duckweed index, if you have healthy green floating plants you have have plenty of nutrients and when you thin the plants you remove the nutrients.

cheers Darrel

Back