• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue Green Algae & ADA Bacter 100

Cyworld

Hey guys.
I just set up a 43 gallon tank about 3 weeks ago. The rotala, glosso, and the blyxa is doing awesome. BUT, the only problem is there is firggin Blue Green Algae taking over my tank! It looks ugly AND it smells,,,soo terrible. Anyways, I was wondering if bacter 100 would help get rid of the BGA's. I read taht BGA is not really a algae but more of a photosynthic bacteria. My main concern right now are the glosso's, the GBA is starting to cover them up. I dont want to do a blackout because the glosso is going to get all leggy.
If the bacter 100 does help, would it still be ok if I added it into the water? Because I already laid the amazonia 2 onto the tank.

THANKS a TONNN in advice! :D

Do a black out, it really won't effect the glosso that much. You then need to consider what caused it and revise your dosing, if you're circulation is up to par and if you are maintaining your tank sufficiently thoroughly.

i believe it could cloud the water. remember reading it somewhere. i think ADA suggest it helps keep bga at bay from the outset rather than killing it once you've got it. the 100 strong bacteria colonises the substrate helping to reduce the chance of getting bga along with other preventative measures,flow,kno3 addition....something along those lines i believe :D

Bga's biggest causes are detritus, direct sunlight, low flow and lack of kno3. Solve those and you'll never get it.

Im so ticked with this flipping BGA now. I am going to do a blackout now. but the problem is. I have 2 ottos, 1 angel, and 11 serpae tetras in the tank...

So... they're not going to die because you didn't feed them.

I just covered my tank in cardboard. I leave it there and dont do anything for 3 days yeah? Just the filter on.

Thanks for the advices.

Yeah essentially, raise the outlet up to off gas any co2 build up. It's pretty much the easiest thing to get right in planted tanks. :twisted:

Back