• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nightmare morning water all over the floor

Splitting of tank seams is usually due to the tank being placed on a "bowed" surface causing tearing of the silicone in two opposite corners. Are you sure your stand/tank is on level floor ? My mates tank split down one corner (and started on opposite corner) due to one of the legs on his "chest of drawers" tank stand collapsing, causing bowing of bottom of tank and subsequent tearing of the silicone. He made a better stand and resiliconed tank and that was many many years ago and tank is still fine.

I'll check tonight, It's the standard fluval chipboard stand so I assumed so.. the floor is in a new extension so pretty flat
Did your friend completely strip and rebuild the tank or did he get away with just gluing on the front panel?

I'm still amazed that the fluval is only 5.5mm all the quotes I'm getting for a similar size tank are 12mm thick glass

down the inside
nono, down the outside.. Inside wont fit, because of the Kit seam inside you don't have a straight 90° corner.. The outside corner is 90° straight.. You also shouldn't have aluminium permanently in the tank water..

Yes those UK prices also kinda shock me.. Why is everything so expensive in your country?
Last week i ordered glas to build me a tank 80cmx48cmx35 cm 8mm opti white.. Fortunately i'm in the position to get it at a retail price Ex VAT and payed
€117 cut to size.. That would be £ 102 what i payed for the glass only.

If i roughly calculate from the uk provider i come at £ 202 ex VAT.. That's double the price i pay..

It's my worst nightmare as well. For what it's worth, If it were me I wouldn't attempt a repair. I wouldn't trust my handiwork and there is no way I'd be satisfied with the resulting silicon work.
Aquariums are reasonably cheap these days, I'd just buy a new one. I'd go with Ryan's suggestion, it's a great tank at a good price.

Tim

Perfectly correct and it could be the cheapest in the long run. If it sprung a leak again you might find no insurance claim as the repair work was not done by a qualified glazier company.

Keith:wave::wave:

If it sprung a leak again you might find no insurance claim as the repair work was not done by a qualified glazier company

Now you are scaring me Keith, with proudly pressenting my self build aquairums.. :nailbiting:
But i just say it was the washing machine... :rolleyes::D

As the glass is only 5.5mm, I wouldn't repair it. But after replacing the tank, you could use the glass to make a couple of nice small tanks. Use them outdoors if you don't trust your first attempt at silicone work. :)

I always end up with favourite side views on my tanks
It would drive me madd if only the front was optiwhite glass

Marcel

I recently had a Kitchen fire the builders repair cost was Au$50.000 and that did not include 5 days of 5 people doing all the cleaning smoke damage etc.

Some insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying.

My biggest concern would be lack of sleep, If you fixed it yourself would you sleep soundly at night? I wouldn't, I would be up and down checking the tank and worrying it might leak.
Best to get a new one imo, if for nothing else then for peace of mind.

Keith, tell me about it, i know... Seems to be the same all over the world.. And with many insurances you only are insured you get a headage if you ever need them. So actualy they can not be accused of lying, you got what you payed for, they made something sure..

Short story of a guy with new interiour the insurance company said Wow! Sir, that's a $100.000,- you need to insure this!! So he did insured it for the adviced $100.000,- for $70 a month.. 6 years later something sadly happened and he needed to claim this insurance. Than the company said, but Sir!? We are not going to refund you $100.000 for 6 year old stuff!! Minus economic depreciation we can not give you more than $ 15.000.

Go figure :rolleyes: spend a $100.000 and with an insurance premium 7 years x $70 p/m = $49200 to get only 10% of the total investment in return if something unfortunate happens. If that aint a headage.. :rolleyes::twisted::lol:

My mate DIY repaired the torn seams in his tank in 1992, just asked him, and tank us still fine. Obvious one seam is different than the rest but 26 years later water is still in tank.

Marcel

My insurance is new for old I checked that out very early (many years ago)

When my tank cracked it done a lot of damage to the cabinet I built. The biggest difference I am a Cabinet maker and had teaching the trade for over 20 years then. The builder claimed for all the work then contracted me to do the job.

Hey All,
Thanks for everyone's support and suggestions. I just bought a new red sea reefer 350 tank, in the optiwhite glass I wanted.
I got a very good deal and don't have to wait for 6 - 8 weeks.
A little bit heavier than the Juwel in 12mm glass

Pipework is going to be the next fun challenge as I want to hide everything in the weir, then start the fun process of slowing moving everything across.

If the plastic trim was still in one piece I probably would have glued it back together.

It's in Black, really pleased with the tank. Just going to be lots of work moving everything over.
Has anyone found any pool filter sand that's a similar color to ADA La Plata Sand?

Back