• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern “narrow” questions

I'm gonna be replanting the background of my tank with Narrow Leaf Java Fern but I have some questions before I do so :)

Assuming I buy it emersed from an LFS, will the plant lose most/all of its leaves when transitioning to submersed growth in my tank? Or is it more like Anubias and other slow growing plants where leaves don't really die but new growth is slightly different? I don't want to have a sparsely planted tank while leaves grow back in fear of aggression between my Puffers.

How fast can I get this plant to reach 20-30cm? I guess I am kinda impatient when it comes to getting a tank to look mature lol. I have around 25ppm CO2, Medium light and EI dosing.

Cheers, Oscar

You never know, every plant goes through a transplant shock.. How it will coop with the new provided conditions is the million dolar question. I've had java ferns that got completely mad, one was rather big and when i planted it, it started propagating like crazy and all older leaves died off. And now 2 years later i'm still waiting for all offspring that survived to grow some body.

And what do you mean with narrow? There are many types named like that. I have the Taiwan, which is an extremely narrow type, but is the hardest of all 5 types of java i'm growing. And than i can not confirm that the taiwan is generaly the hardest, because i only have what i have regarding parameters and i can not create other conditions. Some people are lucky and others are less lucky.. You have to take your chances.. :)

Hi there,

Having added some Narrow leaf java fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow') into my tank just over a month ago I didn't experience any leaf loss at all, there was however a complete lack of growth within the first week or two as is normal for many plants. The same goes for all my previous java ferns as well.

Though as mentioned above, your mileage may vary depending on the plant.

You never know, every plant goes through a transplant shock.. How it will coop with the new provided conditions is the million dolar question. I've had java ferns that got completely mad, one was rather big and when i planted it, it started propagating like crazy and all older leaves died off. And now 2 years later i'm still waiting for all offspring that survived to grow some body.

And what do you mean with narrow? There are many types named like that. I have the Taiwan, which is an extremely narrow type, but is the hardest of all 5 types of java i'm growing. And than i can not confirm that the taiwan is generaly the hardest, because i only have what i have regarding parameters and i can not create other conditions. Some people are lucky and others are less lucky.. You have to take your chances.. :)

The one I was looking at getting was Microsorum Pteropus "Narrow". Hope it works out :)

Hi there,

Having added some Narrow leaf java fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow') into my tank just over a month ago I didn't experience any leaf loss at all, there was however a complete lack of growth within the first week or two as is normal for many plants. The same goes for all my previous java ferns as well.

Though as mentioned above, your mileage may vary depending on the plant.

Do you know if it was emersed grown before buying it?

Back