• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Pump

Why do you need 5 channels ? Lots of people use only two, one for macros and one for micro. At a push could add a third slower dosing liquid carbon, if you really want.

Hi there,

Just to add - if you're not a fan of Jebao units and assuming you don't need the 5 channels you can look at the Aqua Medic dosing pump. The operation is pretty much the same as the Jebao units however one of the major differences is the control unit is separate from the dosing pump itself which allows for more convenient placement of the controller. Also being a European company it is likely the customer support is more accessible if anything was to go wrong - it's a well known brand within the reefing world and so far I've had no issues with my dosing pump from them.

That said i'm aware of a few users on this forum who use Jebao without any problems, perhaps they'd be able to give you input as to the performance of the Jebao units. Some good info here just in case you haven't seen it yet, some users have reported success with Jebao.

Why do you need 5 channels ? Lots of people use only two, one for macros and one for micro. At a push could add a third slower dosing liquid carbon, if you really want.
Hi Ian, that was just an example, current thoughts are 4 maximum, Micro, Macro, water conditioner as I’m on auto water change, and maybe a buffer mix due to the low gh/dk, that said if a motor goes it may be good to have a spare.

I know Aqua Medic well as I used to one of their marine set ups, but thanks for some reassurance ref Jebao Matt.

You only want to dose water conditioner if you are pre-storing water in a water butt before pumping into the tank. If running continuous water replacement you just need to use a de-chor (or equivalent) in line water filter will do the job equally as well and a lot more conveniently. Just make sure you change the filter regularly and maybe test the filtered water once a week for chlorine (and ammonia from chloramine) in case it runs out early or is faulty or you are forgetful

You only want to dose water conditioner if you are pre-storing water in a water butt before pumping into the tank. If running continuous water replacement you just need to use a de-chor (or equivalent) in line water filter will do the job equally as well and a lot more conveniently. Just make sure you change the filter regularly and maybe test the filtered water once a week for chlorine (and ammonia from chloramine) in case it runs out early or is faulty or you are forgetful
Sorry Ian, I meant dechlorinator:thumbup:

Considering my focus on automation, this is looking very appealing.

yes I meant no need to dose dechlorinator, just use a suitable dechlor water filter.
Can I get a dechlor filter to fit inside my RO unit, which has the resin filter removed, Will the carbon filter remove Chlorine but not chloramine

Last edited:
Can I get a dechlor filter to fit inside my RO unit, which has the resin filter removed, Will the carbon filter remove Chlorine but not chloramine
yes it will be really needs to be a "proper" dechlorinating prefilter. A propper good condition suitably rated prefilter will remove both chlorine and chloramine.

Back