• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lights and Movement - Jewel Vision 180 from pre-set up :)

Petra R

Background:

Not had a tank for a while, but a tank-sized space in my kitchen (main living area in most Italian houses) combined with a super duper deal (think barely over half price) led to me getting this tank which is currently in transit.

The Idea:

I have "a thing" about technology, and a thing about lighting. My place is all rigged up with Philips Hue lights, even the TV is plugged into that.
For those who aren't familiar with it - watch this: (please bear with me, we'll come to the tank part shortly)

OK, so what I want to create is a tank that is (obviously) first and foremost a healthy home for plants and fishies, but also ties in with my lighting, especially in the evening.

I want to create movement and a play of light and shade and colour (the movement will come from backlighting the tank and the movement of the plants against the back glass pane, and of course the fish.)

The Aquarium:

Juwel Vision 180:

fg_Vision180-Scribble-SBX-Sketch-Look(3)-l.jpg

Lights:

Initially the two Multilux LED tubes that come with the tank, plus 2 reflectors.

std_multilux(3)-l.png

2 x Philips Hue White & Colour Lightstrips, all connectors sealed with aquarium silicon.
1 x to be glued into the back flap / cover of the tank, pointing down (obviously)
1 x fixed to a reflector inserted in the narrow gap behind the the tank, just below substrate level to uplight the wall

Kx-a1KZ1wGf-YI-RRJE17-wE6I3PKMjShuY2Jb3ouNE38ibyWQ.jpg

They are completely sealed in thick clear plastic, I silconed the hell out of everything that could be an issue,(the end and all connections) so should be fine (famous last words....)

The possibilities with that kind of light are endless. You can simulate sunrises / sunset / cloudy skies, moonlight, change through pre-set light sequences, all controlled from the app (even voice controlled via Siri)

Filter:

Initially the one that comes with the tank, Bioflow Filter M – Filter System with Juwel ECCOFLOW 600 l/h Int pump, but will probably get an external one.

Plants:

Starting with not very demanding ones such as Anubias and Echinodorus bleheri - want to see how it all pans out.

Fish:

Undecided. Want to see what the parameters are after cycling. Then I decide on fish that will suit the water, rather than trying to make the water suit the fish.

Landscape:

Undecided, I have some thick roots and bits of driftwood from a friend who is giving up, so will see what I can do with those first.
The bow front and the relative height will make for interesting options I think...

std_juwel_aquarium_td_vision180_top_view(1)-l.png

Other:

The back glass and the left side will have a "privacy" type foil / film attached to it to diffuse the backlighting and hide cables and the wall. I bought something called Rabbitgoo - it is glue free and should work great.

Ssap5Mtwq7YKNX7bZPMfvL1sbULYF5nWqSsw2thPpFGVuc50Bt.jpg

Space:

To the left of "The Cat Unit" ... Hopefully that also explains why an open top tank is a "no-no!"

large?v=1.jpg

So.... That's the plan at least. Just hoping the tank arrives really soon :)

Good luck with this project! Since I have a Vision 180, too, I thought I'd make a couple of comments:
  • if you're into lighting, consider the Helialux LED bar as a replacement for the Multilux tubes. The major advantage for me is that it can be controlled via the Day+Night controller. The other major advantage is that it gets out of the way. With Multilux, when you open the lid you're looking at a tube. With Helialux you're looking at nothing but water :) This also makes maintenance much easier, as you can move the bar much further back or forward. If you stick with the Multilux tubes, I don't think they need reflectors, since they only shine downwards, unlike T5 tubes.
  • I've substituted the 600l/h pump with a 1000l/h one, which is a straight drop-in replacement. It seems to provide excellent flow AFAICT, especially with the OxyFlow venturi attachment.
  • If you're planning to frost one of the side walls, why not the one of the right, where the filter is?
Bear in mind that I'm a complete noob at planted tanks, and have been running the Vision 180 for just over 4 weeks. So far so good :)

And yes, I've got a cat, too, so no open tanks for me :D

especially with the OxyFlow venturi attachment.

Any chance you can measure the inside and outside diameter of the OxyFlow attachment or if you know the size of the outlet from the juwel filters let me know!

Hi there,

Looks good - definitely look forward to seeing your project taking shape. The Rabbitgoo privacy foil is great as well, a little annoying to get on but once its on it stays put. On a note because it's held by static it really is annoying to put on without using the suggested water and soap mix, one tank I did without and it took me a good 30 mins just to position it, I used the suggestions the next tank and had it done in 5-10 mins. Given your tank isn't running yet i'd recommend using the water and soap mix obviously being careful not to get any soap into the tank, this also helps with getting rid of water/air bubbles under the film as well.

Tried using the led strips in my tank, in the end failure..
- not very bright compared to the T5 tubes, despite sticking 3 rows in each hood.
- You will not be able to stick and keep the strips stuck to the hood. The supplied 3M adhesive failed pretty quickly, contact adhesive also failed. Silicone does not actually stick to the hood plastic also not helped that virtually no glue sticks to the silicone led strips.
- you will not be able seal any cuts/joins in led tape anywhere near inside the hood. Despite using masses of non corrosive silicone (you cant use acetoxy silicone anywhere near copper ie wires, as it attacks it) eventually moisture leaked in via wires and corroded the internal led pcb.

People that have kept their leds in Juwel hoods have used the leds on aluminum strips and bolted it to the lid with special waterproof connectors, no silicone involved.

You might look at Tropica & Juwel for some inspiration layouts

Tropica (input Juwel as the brand search option)

Juwel YouTube Vison 180

While some find the filter limiting, replacement is definitely optional, depending upon chosen hardscape
Must admit I'm not a fan of those siliconed in backings

:thumbup:Ooooh, thanks for the tip, that gave me plenty of food for thought!:clap:

I did look into those backgrounds, also (very briefly) considered one of those "poster" types. I wasn't convinced. I have seen some stunning tanks with those backgrounds, but also read a lot of very poor feedback of them fading and / or the colour coming off.

I've had a bigger (240 I think) Juwel and didn't actually find the filter too upsetting. Will see how it goes and what it looks like when it FINALLY gets here. Plants arrived all the way from Germany already, tank didn't from 100 miles away. :arghh:

Good luck with this project! Since I have a Vision 180, too, I thought I'd make a couple of comments:
  • if you're into lighting, consider the Helialux LED bar as a replacement for the Multilux tubes. The major advantage for me is that it can be controlled via the Day+Night controller. The other major advantage is that it gets out of the way. With Multilux, when you open the lid you're looking at a tube. With Helialux you're looking at nothing but water :) This also makes maintenance much easier, as you can move the bar much further back or forward. If you stick with the Multilux tubes, I don't think they need reflectors, since they only shine downwards, unlike T5 tubes.
  • I've substituted the 600l/h pump with a 1000l/h one, which is a straight drop-in replacement. It seems to provide excellent flow AFAICT, especially with the OxyFlow venturi attachment.
  • If you're planning to frost one of the side walls, why not the one of the right, where the filter is?
Bear in mind that I'm a complete noob at planted tanks, and have been running the Vision 180 for just over 4 weeks. So far so good :)

And yes, I've got a cat, too, so no open tanks for me :D

I did consider the Helialux LED with the Day and Night controller. I still am, but it is expensive :inpain: so I need to save up some pennies first
GREAT to know about the pump, will look into that and then keep the 600 as a spare if the pump fails (had that happen in the 240 or whatever it was)
Reason why I don't want to frost the right side wall is because I want to see into the tank from where I come into the room rather than look at frosting. I am putting it on the left to hide the wall and diffise light leaking from the leds behind.

Cats will no doubt make aquaintance with water sooner or later. I don't think I ever had an aquarium + cats at the same time without someone falling in. Except the Fluval Edge which has a glass top.:p

Last edited:
Hi there,

Looks good - definitely look forward to seeing your project taking shape. The Rabbitgoo privacy foil is great as well, a little annoying to get on but once its on it stays put. On a note because it's held by static it really is annoying to put on without using the suggested water and soap mix, one tank I did without and it took me a good 30 mins just to position it, I used the suggestions the next tank and had it done in 5-10 mins. Given your tank isn't running yet i'd recommend using the water and soap mix obviously being careful not to get any soap into the tank, this also helps with getting rid of water/air bubbles under the film as well.

Hi Matt, yes, got the water spray bottle and swishing tool along with the film so that's the way I'm going to go!

Tried using the led strips in my tank, in the end failure..
- not very bright compared to the T5 tubes, despite sticking 3 rows in each hood.
- You will not be able to stick and keep the strips stuck to the hood. The supplied 3M adhesive failed pretty quickly, contact adhesive also failed. Silicone does not actually stick to the hood plastic also not helped that virtually no glue sticks to the silicone led strips.
- you will not be able seal any cuts/joins in led tape anywhere near inside the hood. Despite using masses of non corrosive silicone (you cant use acetoxy silicone anywhere near copper ie wires, as it attacks it) eventually moisture leaked in via wires and corroded the internal led pcb.

People that have kept their leds in Juwel hoods have used the leds on aluminum strips and bolted it to the lid with special waterproof connectors, no silicone involved.

Hi Ian,

Great points! The LED strip I am using is 2 meters long so the connectors will not be inside the tank at all. (I am not planning on dividing them - just make a loop shape) The brightness of the Hue is pretty spectacular, nearly blinded myself trying it out yesterday, and I am using it (or rather am planning to use it) only for "accent lighting" - not for main lighting.)

I can easily fix it to the lid with small plastic brackets or go for waterproof aluminium led channels, they are cheap

double.jpg
315MzWukCbL._SL350_.jpg

If I do kill the Hue lightstrip it'll be an interesting (and expensive) lesson learned ;)

Last edited:
Any chance you can measure the inside and outside diameter of the OxyFlow attachment or if you know the size of the outlet from the juwel filters let me know!

The OxyPlus (sorry, not OxyFlow, got that wrong) Venturi attachment has an ID of 20mm and fits over the Juwel filter/pump outlet tube. The OD is about 23mm. Also included is a 45 degree elbow tube of thinner wall thickness which fits both over the pump outlet and into the Venturi attachment.

I initially used the OxyPlus to inject CO2 into the tank (rather than air), but I found a ceramic atomiser to be more effective. I now use the OxyPlus only to improve the flow.

I must say Petra, that your post are quite spectacular!
Are you some sort of IT guy or just young?

HAHAHA :p
I am neither a guy nor IT nor young

I'm female, English is not my native language, and I know where I was when Elvis died. I'm just a translator with a love for language(s) (English and German mainly, even though I'm in Italy)

I am also someone who thinks that for almost every problem / challenge there is a solution.

Last edited:
The OxyPlus (sorry, not OxyFlow, got that wrong) Venturi attachment has an ID of 20mm and fits over the Juwel filter/pump outlet tube. The OD is about 23mm. Also included is a 45 degree elbow tube of thinner wall thickness which fits both over the pump outlet and into the Venturi attachment.

I initially used the OxyPlus to inject CO2 into the tank (rather than air), but I found a ceramic atomiser to be more effective. I now use the OxyPlus only to improve the flow.

Cheers I actually brought one today, works well, had to fit 16/22 tube inside the oxyplus then attach to my stainless pipes but it does the job!

So it seems my tank is actually less than 5 miles away and has been since Thursday, but I missed the call from the courier company to arrange delivery yesterday. My Italian still sucks but I think what I agreed to is that they'll call again on Monday to arrange delivery for Tuesday.

Of course my workload on Tuesday is insane so this could hardly be less convenient but by then all the other stuff I've ordered should have arrived such as substrate etc. I see a really early morning Tuesday coming on so I can catch up with as much work as I can before the tank arrives.

Last edited:
:happy:Tank arriving tomorrow morning!:)
I have the basic layout in my head which concentrates mainly on tall plants in the background and a "woody" hardscape (driftwood / "twigs") with anubias and lots of free swimming space in the foreground. I have some ideas to create depth with the curved front.
No rocks except small stones which will be used for anubia and fern and moss, which means I can "rescape" plant placement without digging them up.

The rest of the plants (those that "someone" drunk-ordered) should be here Wednesday / Thursday.

Here's a shot of my little Fluwal Edge from some years ago
1922511_10201456945770460_1927612146_n.jpg

Last edited:
:rolleyes: lesson one: FIRST read instructions, THEN build cabinet.
:facepalm: lesson two: Two bags marked with HUGE letters A and B are unlikely to contain the same content, even if the hinges contained therein look roughly the same.
:shy: lesson three: Cats are not useful while building things.

But I WILL have the tank up today. Going to undo all the screws now and put the right hinges on the right bits in the right order before carrying on building.

I need shooting for actually wasting hours because I could not be bothered to read the instructions but the cupboard is (more or less correctly - need to fix the hinges on the doors, another "does not follow instructions - fail") built and the tank is on it (not easy for one of me and I had visions of it going quite terribly wrong)

May I repeat that multiple cats are not useful when building stuff?

Putting on the frosted film was a breeze actually but now it is up I am agreeing with @CryptKeeper that I need to frost the right side as well. Not loving the view of the internal filter from the side.

Tomorrow - the fun part :)

large?v=1.jpg

Back