• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi All

welshweeks

Hi All,

I'm looking to start my first aquascaped tank in the coming months. I'm currently researching equipment and methods etc. I've previously kept a tropical tank with basic plants such as Java fern/moss, Vallisneria , Anubias and Cabomba and more recently a marine reef tank (which was a steep learning curve!). Anyway, I had to give it up due to work commitments but now in the position to start up again and really looking forward to learning and taking on the challenge of keeping a scaped tank!!

Ha ha, the expensive side more like, although my list of equipment for this project is increasing daily lol

Welcome! I've only been here a few days, it is an amazing forum!
Surely after a marine reef tank just about everything else qualifies for "cheap" - no?
Sort of lol. I have to be honest, when I looked at co2 method several years ago before owning a reef tank I thought it looked too complicated and expensive but as you said, after running a reef tank it now looks a fair bit easier (I hope I don't regret saying that) and less expensive....

A shopping list!!

Ha! You're one step behind me. I'm awaiting my tank! Tomorrow or Tuesday everything bar the last plants should have arrived. They're coming from Germany so 3 - 4 days.

Sort of lol. I have to be honest, when I looked at co2 method several years ago before owning a reef tank I thought it looked too complicated and expensive but as you said, after running a reef tank it now looks a fair bit easier (I hope I don't regret saying that) and less expensive....

I may very well regret saying this, but I am starting without a co2 system (chemistry scares the hell out of me) and see how it goes. YES, of course it will restrict what plants I can grow successfully, but as long as I stick to plants who don't need it I think I'll be fine. No, I'll not be growing a lush underwater lawn I guess, but even that can be done. Sticking to plants that are supposed to be easy and have low co2 requirements.

I almost feel excited for you both, starting a new adventure :)
Hi Tim, once I'm up and running I'll give it a go.
Great, it's a good way to learn, and the best way to get help if you need it.

@Petra R going low-energy can work really well providing you choose the right plants and light intensity, but don't be put off using gas because of chemistry.
I totally ignore my tanks water chemistry. I rely on a drop checker with 4dkH solution - I aim for lime green at lights on and all the way till lights off, it's very simple really ;)
Either way plants will welcome any additional carbon, even liquid carbon.

I almost feel excited for you both, starting a new adventure :)

Great, it's a good way to learn, and the best way to get help if you need it.

@Petra R .............it's very simple really ;)

@Tim Harrison - Everything "is very simple really" once you master it. But I know I'm in the right place for when I do (if I do) want to go high tech :)

My shopping list so far;

Tank:Aquascaper 600
Filtration :Oase biomaster thermo 600
Lighting unit :Twinstar 600S although I have been looking at those Chirios (not sure spelling) lights but read mixed reviews.
Co2 unit : not a specific one as yet but want a decent quality one.
Substrate :still researching!
Plants : still researching but definitely want a nice carpeting plant.
Rocks and Wood: still researching!

Nice looking shopping list.
Great tank, it's around 108 l capacity, so an Oase 350 would easily provide 10x turnover, and save you £40.
Nice light choice, the RGB LEDs really make the colours of plants and critters pop.
As for CO2 check CO2 Art out any of these will do - https://www.co2art.eu/collections/complete-co2-systems
Substrate, consider ADA AS or Tropica AS.
A relatively easy carpet plant is Micranthemum Monte Carlo, or if you want a more grass like plant, mini hairgrass.

After another day of browsing through information I'm thinking of going for a Eheim ext filter instead of the Oase, possibly the Eheim Professional 4 600. Reason is there's not that much feedback on the Oase range plus in the past I've always kept my mechanical filtration in the bottom basket and media in the others. Looking at the Oase pre-filtration the foam sections don't look graded to me (coarse to fine). I'll then get a Hydor external heater.

Back