• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving Plants

BigD

Seedling
I have just accepted a job that requires a relocation. As a result, I am now looking into my options for my aquarium. A number of plants growing submerged, also, grow emersed. How feasible is it to transfer such plants into an emersed environment until the house move takes place? I understand that many plants are grown emersed prior to sale, so I would expect them to transfer back to submerged conditions, but I don't know how plants cope when moved the other way? I would expect the plants to be out of the aquarium for 3-4 months.

Plants include:

Crypts
Bucephalandra
Anubias
Rotala
bacopa
Eliocharis
Hygrophila
Anopogeton
Crinum
Valisneria
Pogostemon

Hello BigD, and welcome.
Many macrophytes will make the transition back to emersed growth so long as they are placed in high humidity. I guess you could house them in a probagator, or a sealed tank as in the DSM.
Crypts, Bucephalandra, Rotala, bacopa, Eliocharis, Pogostemon, Anubias, and Crinum should do okay.
As far as I know, Vallis, and Aponogeton can't be grown emersed.

Last edited:
I'm trying to grow some stuff from submerged to emersed at the moment, a few different species, water sprite, eleocharis, micranthemum umbrosum, hygrophila and ceratopteris thalictroides, humidity really is key high humidity at that, but it also needs ample airing throughout the day, so a difficult balance to meet, i've only just started though last week and haven't got a clue what i'm doing really, just experimenting.

Start taking clippings and try to get them emersed now, it's a lot of try and error.Those small heated propagators can be good.
3982_propagator_64-50d.jpg

propagator

Back