• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hanging Rock - 45p Iwagumi

This tank as been moved outdoors on to my balcony in a rack with 2 other fish tanks. So far so good with the shrimp tank outdoors for a bit over a week, I installed shade cloth cover on the front and side of the rack so the tanks dont really get full sun, ive kept the light on from 5pm - 10pm at the lowest setting, looking at the tanks as the sunlight fades and LEDs start up is pretty nice, like very vibrant colours etc.

Here is a photo from late at night, its hard to maintain the tanks in the rack, so its going to look messy from here on, the riccia has really going crazy since going out doors, it pearls 24/7. I am wondering because there are no fish in this one will mozzies or other bugs make it home, maybe I will add a few small danios.

40879283392_0f7305c7c1_c.jpg
IMG_1386
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Sooner or later, something will take up residence in there ;)

haha yes I am surprised nothing has made the tank home yet... I have seen a few mosquitos buzzing around the light at night... I think I will add some small fish that will be ok with the outdoor water temperature, the other two tanks in this outdoor rack have fish and one tank has been outdoors for about a year and I havent noticed any weird bugs.

Not sure on temps expected but maybe try a pair of
micro Dario

I don't recall tank dimensions but as you've other tanks to move fish about it might be a fun experiment, some of the small Bettas or Licorice gourami ... especially if you get some nice green water going :D

Not sure on temps expected but maybe try a pair of
micro Dario

I don't recall tank dimensions but as you've other tanks to move fish about it might be a fun experiment, some of the small Bettas or Licorice gourami ... especially if you get some nice green water going :D

Interesting I have never considered that kind of breed, something a bit more fancy :p had a quick look at Dario sp. 'Myanmar' and they are in the ball park of expected temps, winter lows will be around 18c, summer is tricky can, water get up to 30c during the peak of the day time heat) We are coming into winter so temps will be cool for a good 6 months or more.

Still no fish, but the tank is going well outdoors, no real increase in algae and growth is much more dense and lush with the extra light, trimmed last weekend and just took this photo now.

41293564491_e90ddf0a0b_c.jpg
IMG_1417
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Need a photoshoot of your outdoor set up ;)

Took this photo just after I moved the 45p (top rack) and 60p (middle) outside onto the rack (about one month ago), all is going well, they get full morning sun but I cover the rack with 70% shade cloth. Planing to rescape the middle tank soon (remove rogue stems and anubias (using elsewhere), add moss to rocks and replace sand / soil mix with gravel) and hopefully a full rescape of the bottom tank if I can offload the Java Fern... something a bit more minimal :p

IMG_1382.jpg

Really liking this tank, always wanted a shrimp only tank but usually I end up adding fish upon request from my partner/family

Great job!

Really liking this tank, always wanted a shrimp only tank but usually I end up adding fish upon request from my partner/family

Great job!

haha well this tank now has fish... my girlfriend always said she never gets to choose / buy fish and I left her buy some fish for this tank, ended up with fancy guppys, they dont suit the tank at all but are rather fun to watch and very active fish and keeps my girlfriend happy.

Planing to pull down the current layout over the next month or so and rescape to a low maintance tank, with minimal plants.

Here is a pair of the guppys

40688940255_8242fd867a_z.jpg
IMG_1789
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

40688952585_66d21ce3f7_z.jpg
IMG_1750
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Wow, really nice colours and patterns on those, which species are they? They’re my partner’s favourite color too so she might take a liking to them

I think they are called Blue Grass Guppys, thats all I really know. My Partner too loves blue, I guess that is why she chose them

Probably the last shot of this tank, all over grown, still looks kind of cool but I am over needing to trim every few weeks, as this tank is in a rack its hard to access. Plan is to pull this down soon and create something new and low maintenance! I moved the Guppy's to the 60p tank, a few have jumped I managed to save one jumper today, I am thinking Guppy's are not ideal for an open top tank.

I always forget to turn off the lights on the camera, you can see the reflections top left.

41693514121_6c5faf93d7_z.jpg
IMG_1860
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

What did you use to edit your picture?

Photoshop, generally reduce the highlights then play with the levels to brighten the photo and sharpen then save as JPG.

Back