• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Swamp Monster (750l biotope)

Looking good. I like the difference of the dark spot under the lilly and the dense growth on the right side, i think the fish will too. I would keep it like that.

I would have to take the floating leaves out every 2-3 days to eliminate the dark spot and I am far too lazy in my pruning to do that. I’m trying to add some density behind the lillies on the left and slightly to the right and on the first ‘step’ of the rocky terrace.

Still think a group of African Butterflies would look stunning. Simply drifting amongst the Lilly Pads. Great fun to watch them eating mealworms and Hoppers.

...and I am still tempted to add a pair. I’ve only lost 1 fish from jumping - one of the Phenacogrammus fantastiques that was always a bit of a loony and super skittish.

hi what is the little plant with the single round disc shaped leaf? Ta.

It is Hydrocotyle verticillata. Not from the right region for my tank, but I got bored trying to get the mini Eleocharis to grow in the foreground :oops:

2BdyiF2.jpg

sXDNJVo.jpg

9jnp6rW.jpg

Qmh2r2b.jpg

Very happy with the right hand side after a trim and water change today. The big wood section is also getting there. The rest needs work!

Looks pretty wild... :thumbup: Only thing that distrcacts me is that television above it..

How about a gaint poster like this?...

Ha! I am imagining the face of a decorator coming in to do that job...

I do like that fern coming out of the top, though!

You could do some pretty decorative things to that wall fitting the whole setup more than that TV does.. A playfull triptych poster set , to break it up.
But never mind me, just an idea.. I don't even own a TV threw it on the scapyard 15 years ago, there was and still nothing on it anyway.. :rolleyes:

I think the TV is going to stay! Thanks for your continued interest though, Marcel!

I wonder if the fish currently being marketed as Phenacogrammus sp fantastique are actually Phenacogrammus deheyni? There is almost no info on deheyni anywhere but the photo under that name on aquarium photo.dk aren’t very different to mine or to the pictures that Phenaco Congo, a Congo exporter, have provided...

image?view=image&format=raw&type=img&id=26903.jpg

11212131_812615108820809_1771097672170060221_o.jpg

I’ve exchanged emails with Johnny Jensen, who runs the aquariumphoto.dk, site since writing this. I’d missed that his site already lists sp fantastique as a synonym of deheyni. He has had this confirmed by Melanie Stiassny, who has worked extensively on Congo fishes, so it should be quite authoritative.

Pleased to know what my fish are :)

5ncaNbm.jpg

ZNLUsnz.jpg

lV3ViVD.jpg

fmwV0P2.jpg

g04KWjm.jpg

JSRrMrL.jpg

Y7oOFKW.jpg

oDDzGPV.jpg

Updated full tank shots and shots along the tank, a solo shot of one of the male Aphyosemion louessense and a group
shot of the pair of Enigmatochromis, one of the louessense and part of the group of Phenacogrammus deheyni.

I have just got the tank back in order after a month away. Not too much has changed since I last posted other than the whole tank getting massively overgrown and then backed back to respectability. On the plant front, I’ve taken out a huge number of floating leaves, moved one of the water lillies further back and thrown out another that was making 10” pads every week as they were making the whole left side pitch black, have added a few more Anubias around the big log and the Ammania and Floscopa on the right are now showing a lot of emerged growth. The Bolbitis on the big wood is also starting to emerge above the water line, which is quite exciting. Now I know I can get the Ammania to grow emersed I’ll now try to neaten up how it and the Floscopa are growing on the right. As you can see the palm grass has gone a bit nuts - it was halfway across the doorway before it was trimmed.

No change in the fish, given the long trip. I think there are:

9 Phenacogrammus deheyni
10 Phenacogrammus aurantiacus
8 Enteromius fasciolatus
8 Aphyosemion louessense RPC78/30
2 Enigmatochromis lucanusi
2 (possibly 3) Microctenopoma ansorgii
2 (possibly more) Microsynodontis sp
1 Otocinclus vittatus

The ansorgii really suffered when the cichlids were introduced and I think 2 of my original 4 have succumbed. The catfish were and remain very shy, but there are at least two left and could be more in there..

Looking realy good:thumbup::thumbup:
One thing i would change is to get more continuance in the substrate, soften the transitions. Add some more stones, maybe some wood on the bottom. Looks like some separate pieces now to me.:oops:

Back