• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID please? UK native.

Angus

i'm a bit lost where to start with looking for what this is, i've seen similar plants sold from pond suppliers as callitriche? found in fully aquatic growth form, couldn't find any growing outside of the stream. DSC00495.JPG

Just a bit of further info, been keeping it at 25C for 5 days now, no melt and some growth, seems to tolerate tropical temperatures well. :)

how would i tell if this is truncata, palustris or stagnalis? all 3 seem very similar, it is definitely not hermaphroditica though.

Proper determination in Callitriche is rather dificult. You can pic one of the bellow.
Callitriche platycarpa
Callitriche obtusangula
Callitriche stagnalis
Callitriche cophocarpa
Callitriche palustris
Callitriche hamulata
Callitriche brutia
Callitriche hermaphroditica
Callitriche truncata

If you know what to look for, it's either this but also could be that. It's a plant where Botanical workgroups like to write rather long articles about and say it is very easy to see apparent characteristics that need to be repealed after further investigation.

I do not know one in English on the internet, but if you still feel like it, google translate might help you.
https://wimvdven.home.xs4all.nl/callitri.htm

Hi all, Definitely a Callitriche sp. It isn't C. palustris (very rare in the UK), or C. stagnalis (really common, but with rounder submerged leaves).
After that it is pick a name really, Callitriche truncata is definitely an option.

cheers Darrel
I think the key probably lies in some habitat distribution maps i have found.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Just a follow up, an interesting observation about this Sp. is that all the growth i thought was rooted and established has melted off, leaving me with a few plants that have roots attached to driftwood, seems this callitriche Sp. doesn't like to be planted in substrate. :thumbup:

Back