• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ph pen recommendation

I dont see them as lessons its sharing info, you post what you have learnt or your assumptions from your reading and if your post is incorrect an expert with a greater depth of understanding corrects you. So we all learn/share together Standing on the shoulders of giants eg T Amano, T Barr, etc

Now this is a lesson... :rolleyes: And don't you ever forget!!.. :lol:

I dont see them as lessons its sharing info, you post what you have learnt or your assumptions from your reading and if your post is incorrect an expert with a greater depth of understanding corrects you. So we all learn/share together Standing on the shoulders of giants eg T Amano, T Barr, etc
I have to say i have learnt more from tom barr posts than takashi amano, but mr amano provided a lot of inspiration even if i was never an ADA fanboy.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

but mr amano provided a lot of inspiration even if i was never an ADA fanboy.

T Amano was the first to inject CO2 into an aquascape so he has to be first on the list, But T Barr gave us EI :angelic: have to agree about ADA products, they Good bit like 'Apple' overprice for what they are ( would go for ADA AS given the choice all the same)

ADA aquasoil is the only one i trust, still not tried the tropica stuff @Zeus. ;)

I would use any really after all they are are 'clay baked granules' as long as the product has been on the market a while and no-ones complaining of them breaking down. But pound for pound if you can get ADA AS locally or as part of a trip to a supplier which you are going anyway. From my reading ADA AS is so packed with nutrients its good valve

T Amano was the first to inject CO2 into an aquascape so he has to be first on the list

I remember an article telling the story that his first experience was with adding soda water to the aquariums.. :lol: And the accelerated growth surprised him and then he went adding pressurized CO²..

I remember an article telling the story that his first experience was with adding soda water to the aquariums.. :lol: And the accelerated growth surprised him and then he went adding pressurized CO²..

Thats what I read too :thumbup: I read he added the soda water and the plants increased pearling. Either way it all history.

Hi all,
Why even manufacturers still claim you always should do a 2 point calibration to be more accurate is a technical and mathematical mystery to me that probably has more to do with pH4 calibration fluid shelf life. Ph4 is the most unlikely target generaly used, who needs that value anyway if your not Dexter, ore a crop grower that needs pH 5?
You can get pH10 buffers, ideally you should use pH7 and pH10 calibration for alkaline solutions, but the real point is that if you have a good meter it will give accurate, and repeatable values, across a whole range of water conditions.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, You can get pH10 buffers, ideally you should use pH7 and pH10 calibration for alkaline solutions, but the real point is that if you have a good meter it will give accurate, and repeatable values, across a whole range of water conditions.

cheers Darrel

Yes i know.. But in the early days using them the shop i bought them always explained customers you should first calibrate 7 and than calibrate 4. I never qeustioned it.. But after a long time doing that i started reading into these devices and how they function i realized they where actualy telleing me bs. Ok for growing crops nearing a fert solution idealy around ph5 i get the 4.. But do the ph7 first is a waste with no meaning.

After that i took it to the test and stopped doing pointless 2 point calibration.. :) Because there never was a differnce doing a 2 point or a 1 point.. It just should always be calibrated once and nearest to the target value..

Me too, but I think Dutch aquascapers were using soda stream CO2 systems before Takashi's soda water experiment.

An extract from The Complete Aquarium Encyclopedia of Tropical Freshwater Fish, by J.D. van Ranshorst (1978) - which incidentally has a section devoted to plants...

26738953767_6a8e04e7e8_b.jpg

What's also note worthy is the recognition that good flow and distribution is important.

Me too, but I think Dutch aquascapers were using soda stream CO2 systems before Takashi's soda water experiment.

An extract from The Complete Aquarium Encyclopedia of Tropical Freshwater Fish, by J.D. van Ranshorst (1978) - which incidentally has a section devoted to plants...

26738953767_6a8e04e7e8_b.jpg

What's also note worthy is the recognition that good flow and distribution is important.

Yes back then in the 70's i also red about CO² in aqauriums, but it also was unafortable science fiction for me. I never knew the date of Takashi's experiment.. :) Was that later?..

It's not surprising if Amano didn't know that Europeans were already injecting CO2, as he states that in Japan he couldn't get hold of power filters or books on aquaium plants, which were widley available in Europe and the US.

Yes, a totally different world back then, no internet or social media, so not many opportunities to share ideas and experiences, and aquascaping as we know it today was just a twinkle in Amano's eye ;)

It's not surprising if Amano didn't know that Europeans were already injecting CO2, as he states that in Japan he couldn't get hold of power filters or books on aquaium plants, which were widley available in Europe and the US.

If i remember correctly Eheim started late 1960's with aquarium filters.. My first aqaurium was mid 1970's and i had an Eheim that's still sold today as the Eheim classic. My brother in law also had a large tropical aqurium and he was into breeding Kribs, i got my first Kribs from him. He wasn't much of a teacher, more shower keeping the secrets.. He also had some aquarium magazines i forgot the name of it. There i saw already some CO² aquariums mentioned, but at that time it didn't say much to me, it wasnt very informative all, adding CO² was a rather out of this world idea and only available to Jet set nerds. And indeed we had only a few books in the library, maybe 2 or 3 writin in our language, it was all about washed River sand and gravel only, all about preferably flat stones to create terraces, only Red moorwood was available and OK, there was nothing else and than make streets with plants from low to high in the back. The Dutch style, i guess back then everybody thought that's how you should do it. The few examples i've seen back then all were Dutch style setups. Actualy without even knowing its Dutch style.. That was just the idea how an aquarium should be setup and look.. And i'm Dutch, since the Dutch style aquarium idea was created in the 1930's it was already practiced for decades and all we knew in my country.. :)

I have seen illustrations of cast iron aquariums kept in victorian times, they seem to have plants and fish, but who knows whether they are actually accurate!

I have seen illustrations of cast iron aquariums kept in victorian times, they seem to have plants and fish, but who knows whether they are actually accurate!

They were highly toxic. and sealed with ordenary glas putty, some had a copper plate or a slate bottom and where heated with a petrol light or a candle under it.

Actualy my very first aquarium was an outdoor tank in the garden, the neighbour gave it to me when i was a kid. Because i always dragged home buckets with tadpoales and small sticklebacks i caught in te local swamp. It was a steel rim tank, also sealed with putty. These tank weren't allowed to stand empty to long, if the putty dried out it was over and started leaking. Than the glass should be taken out cleaned and resealed. I have no idea what that old putty was made off, but i bet it wasn't very responsible to use regarding the fish etc. :)

They were highly toxic. and sealed with ordenary glas putty, some had a copper plate or a slate bottom and where heated with a petrol light or a candle under it. Actualy my very first aquarium was an outdoor tank in the garden, the neighbour gave it to me when i was a kid. Because i always dragged home buckets with tadpoales and small sticklebacks i caught in te local swamp. It was a steel rim tank, also sealed with putty. These tank weren't allowed to stand dry to long, if the putty dried out it was over and started leaking. Than the glass should be taken out cleaned and resealed. I have no idea what that old putty was made off, but i bet it wasn't very responsible to use regarding the fish etc. :)

Pretty sure it was a bitumen based sealant with all sorts of horrible stuff in it, can't blame them for trying though, i've seen a few tanks circa 1920's-30's in the flesh and they are pretty horrible lol.

It was chalkpowder mixed with oils, if you look it up alledgedly harmless oils were used.. But that i don't believe.. If you read stories that in times of crisis old used motor oils was put into chicken food creating the dioxine scandal.. God knows what they threw into the putty.. :rolleyes:

can't blame them for trying though,

There is an old German quote from a famous Austrian zoologist, don't know if it known in other languages. But it says:
"Every single nursed to death stickleback contributed more to wildlife preservation than any sign at a wildlife park entrance ever did"

Back