• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for rapid change

I want to re-scape my 110-litre tank and replace the existing substrate with something more robust.
I would like to rebuild the tank so that fish can return home in the shortest time possible. If I use a buffered substrate I understand there can be risks of large ammonia spites initially. Also, the pH could bottom out, it did this when I set up my shrimp tank but I gave this 5 weeks before introducing livestock.
I have considered getting another tank but this has proved difficult and expensive.
The only substrate I can find reading the forums that may meet my needs of Eco-Complete but I understand this lacks NPK. Is there another substrate I could get that would meet my needs. I would like a carpet and using Crypts mainly.

Hi there,

Another option to consider is Tropica aquarium soil, I've found that for me it's never had a notable spike in Ammonia and have put fish I already had in a few days after flooding the tank without any issue. I'd recommend regardless of the substrate you choose to keep the fish in a temporary home for a few days after flooding and monitor the tank's parameters to make sure there is no notable impact which may harm the fish.

Hi there,

Another option to consider is Tropica aquarium soil, I've found that for me it's never had a notable spike in Ammonia and have put fish I already had in a few days after flooding the tank without any issue. I'd recommend regardless of the substrate you choose to keep the fish in a temporary home for a few days after flooding and monitor the tank's parameters to make sure there is no notable impact which may harm the fish.
Tropica would be my soil of choice. So there should not be any ammonia spike. Hopefully, the plants will be settled to start the uptake on that.
What water changes did you do prior to adding fish?

Other than frequent water changes you can use things like Prime/AmQuel+ to remove ammonia daily. My mate had to do this when moving to an emergency new tank after tank failure. Fish were all fine. Have to be careful if ammonia testing as Prime (not sure about AmQuel+) will interfere with certain ammonia test kits giving false readings.

Tropica would be my soil of choice. So there should not be any ammonia spike. Hopefully, the plants will be settled to start the uptake on that.
What water changes did you do prior to adding fish?

Before adding the fish I did a just under 50% water change on the day, before hand I did a 20-30% water change every other day but that mainly was to get rid of the brown oil that can sometimes come off Tropica substrate and float on the surface.

I wouldn't say there will be no Ammonia leakage at all however as is often the case with Tropica substrate many people find the spike to be no where near that of for example ADA. As mentioned above any residual Ammonia can easily be dealt with by doing frequent water changes & Ammonia 'neutralising' products. That said it's definitely worth keeping an eye on Ammonia with regular testing to ensure everything is Ok for the first couple of weeks.

Other than frequent water changes you can use things like Prime/AmQuel+ to remove ammonia daily. My mate had to do this when moving to an emergency new tank after tank failure. Fish were all fine. Have to be careful if ammonia testing as Prime (not sure about AmQuel+) will interfere with certain ammonia test kits giving false readings.
My understanding is that most test kits like API measure total ammonia. If I get that problem I would use Prime and 50% changes 2nd daily. I will also make sure that it is heavily planted.

Before adding the fish I did a just under 50% water change on the day, before hand I did a 20-30% water change every other day but that mainly was to get rid of the brown oil that can sometimes come off Tropica substrate and float on the surface.

I wouldn't say there will be no Ammonia leakage at all however as is often the case with Tropica substrate many people find the spike to be no where near that of for example ADA. As mentioned above any residual Ammonia can easily be dealt with by doing frequent water changes & Ammonia 'neutralising' products. That said it's definitely worth keeping an eye on Ammonia with regular testing to ensure everything is Ok for the first couple of weeks.
This sounds like a goer. Most people speak highly of the Tropica soil. Now I just have to organize a trip to Aquarium Gardens for hardscapes and plants.

Back