• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Nano pond - 2020

Have an alternative tiering method. That I think will work great and give even greater filtration for the size. And space it will occupy. Just need to cultivate a lot more moss to cover the exterior of the chambers.
Going to change to mostly biohome and sintered glass balls.

And it me a s I will have spent less than half of what the original prefab would have cost me.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Sorry to derail further Gill, just wanted to show for the record the difference in plant health in my two palms, both of which came from the exact same pot 5 years ago.

Window sill palm....two leaves left...Mind you, it looked quite healthy up until last summer but this winter was too harsh, no sun at all.
20180421_123202.jpg

Its sister spent all those years in fish tanks with artificial light and the last year and a half it got both artificial and window light and it took off....
20180421_124116.jpg

Do you have a heater in the cellar Marcel. Or is just being indoors enough. To keep plants alive. I lost 2x plants over winter. The rest are thriving. The rubarb lookung two.
ef8c9e3d55a19b696da2d864e026ab6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That's a gunnera Fred, when they are mature they should be able to take very cold winters but they can die when they are young or if the crown doesn't get enough protection. It's really a bog plant and it could be it just froze. We had one and to begin with we would cover the crown with straw overwinter but as it grew we didn't bother. It got so big we got rid of it as we didn't have much garden left.
You might find that's it's still alive but simply taking longer to open this year as we haven't before this week had a particularly good spring.

Waterfalls arrived this afternoon, just need to wait for the pumps to arrive to test these out.
Don't think i will use all the 6 tiers, was just cheaper to order 6 than 3 tiers. And the color is ok not exactly the colour i wanted, but will suffice. And it will be hidden by the moss and planting.
Luckily the design of them has the holes marked out for drilling and feeding the pipework thru.

Made a start on the garden this afternoon.
Marked out the garden borders and etc.And marked out where the edging was going. Have ended up with wider borders than planned as the lawn area is not square so 1.8m borders all theway round, which by chance is the width of the weed membrane.
Garden Centre only 6M of the Log Edging, so just hammered that into position. And ordered the rest online, after a bit of searching found it for 2.99 a Metre, so very happy with the price. Also ordered Log Roll Edging for the bits where the garden curves to Join it all together smoothly.
Then made a start on laying the weed membrane. This really took it out of me, so gave up after an hour. Will do some more in the morning, as need more securing pegs, and log roll stakes, as forgot them.
Gravel and barrow(went for a 4wheeled tipper to ease my back) arrive next friday as that was the earliest date from wickes. Have gone for 2 tonnes, as decided not to lift the lawn now, just going to gravel the borders.
Just going to aerate the lawn with that spiked roller-thingyy and seed it more.

Pond will be in front of the cherry tree, and edged with willow log roll. And will reuse the rocks from the garden to make it look a bit nicer.

Bit of progress. Even manhandled the massive slabs to make a patio area in front of the conservatory.
Got all the weeding done and laid the weed membrane.
Marked out the area for the pond.

Had to order another one as original pond has not turned up. Asked for a refund from the seller.

And today saw a big planter in b+m that Would be good.Just a bit too high

Tomorrows job is to make a path winding from the conservatory to the washing line

1ee6beb6e9b7f1e05d231321411d326f.jpg
7300fe107a0f4ac843f0282320b6d644.jpg
c6dcc4dbe884f4c596e35bdf11154e03.jpg

Last edited:
One annoying thing about all this, is no part of the garden is square, each wall is on an angle. So done my best to make it look square.

One annoying thing about all this, is no part of the garden is square, each wall is on an angle. So done my best to make it look square.
Looking good gill. Like the borders.
And be careful with throwing slabs about. Keep the photos coming mate.

Looking good gill. Like the borders.
And be careful with throwing slabs about. Keep the photos coming mate.

God i know, they are the big council ones 40mm thick 2ft by 1ft. suprised myself moving them.
The borders hopefully will look good once everything is in.

No work on the Garden today, after that rainfall that started last night. Will wait for the sun to dry it out a bit, Or it will become a Mess.

No work on the Garden today, after that rainfall that started last night. Will wait for the sun to dry it out a bit, Or it will become a Mess.
Always the rain mate. Good old english weather. My project was planned for two to three months. Took nearly 6 months. On the pond and walls and floor laying. You sound patient though. Where as i was nt. Haha

A lot of plant bulbs arrived yesterday. Will plant them today. And finish off the border log rolls.

A lot of plant bulbs arrived yesterday. Will plant them today. And finish off the border log rolls.

Just finished high pressure washing all the indian stone. And side of house. All green gone. Brand new look again.
Backs aching a bit. Why do they make the lance on gun so short.

Hows it going mate. With the bulbs.
That can give back ache.

Lol i have that on the list to do aswell.

Just in b+q picking up some rainbow pebbles to edge the path I am putting in today.

Then plant bulbs etc later on today. Should all be finished by Sunday. Think i will install the waterfalls over the weekend.

Been into the docs today to start 1st round of jabs for my chronic fatigue to see if it will help

Last edited:
Gill,
one thing I did when redoing my garden was get two sheets of OSB ply (2.4m x 1.2m x 18mm) cut into thirds length ways, costs £14 each at timber merchant, to act as boards to protect the grass from heavy feet, wheel barrows etc. Worked a treat, protects the grass, keeps boots mud free(ish) and been used many other times since then. Really handy for laying across the flower beds to get easier access without sinking in the mud. When not in use I stashed them behind the shed. Lasted over 10 years before the rain got the better of them. Bargain.

Cheers for the tip. Though not bothered about the lawn. It's really patchy anyway. So going to reseed it once finished.

However I do still have all the card oard outers from the fridge and washing machine. So could lay those on the lawn.
Will try in the morning. As tooo knackered. Ha e got half the borders gravelled so happy with that.

Still need to mark out the windy path thru the garden.
Found some lovely cobbles to edge it with.

Back