• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Kansas

DylanHowes

Seedling
Hello everyone,
I have been in the aquarium hobby off and on pretty much my entire life. Always had tanks growing up because my parents were in the hobby, until when I was a teenager my dad's 90g reef split at the seams and swamped most of the house, and they stopped keeping tanks. Got back into the hobby after college when I found some cherry shrimp at my LFS, got really into the shrimp side of things, and as a result of that slowly got into plants. Started with moss, then some Anubias, finally started playing around with swords and stem plants or whatever the LFS had. I discovered aquascaping in the last year or so, but really in the last 6 months I've decided to get serious about it. I want to start really trying to learn aquascaping like I would learn to play an instrument or speak a language rather than just haphazardly throwing together some rocks and plants to mimic the pretty pictures I see online when I set up a new tank. After years of low light, no CO2, and very little if any fertilizers, all in ugly rimmed tanks, I have an ADA tank in the mail, my GLA CO2 system just arrived today, and I also got a bunch of dry ferts from GLA to try EI dosing. I'm excited to learn from all the super talented and super knowledgeable people on this forum.
-Dylan

I'll try to attach pictures of a few of my more recent tanks; they're ok, but I'm hoping to get better.
2J8zlJD.jpg
KvDrPot.jpg
kzdNHN7.jpg

Hello Dylan, and welcome :)
Snap...that happened to my reef tank as well, which kinda put the kibosh on my reefing aspirations.
If you haven't already check out the Tutorial section, all the info you need to make a good fist of it is there https://www.ukaps.org/forum/forums/tutorials.34/

Welcome from a neighbor in Missouri.:cool:

Tim- Thank you. I'm definitely digging through the tutorials and the journals here.
Paraguay- Thank you.
Steve- You're totally right! Kansas is basically an iwagumi without any rocks..gotta go about 12 hours west to the Rocky Mountains for that sweet inspiration.
Roadmaster- Thanks! I live in KC, so MO is about a ten minute drive. On the topic of natural inspiration, hiking through some of the Ozark forests has me thinking about doing one of those forest scapes that are getting popular lately, the ones with the spiderwood as tree trunks where you don't usually see the tops of the trees, but I want to try to make it feel more like temperate rainforest rather than tropical rainforest.

Back