• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help ASAP

TheAquascaper

Picked up a few Discus today for my ADA planted tank, didn’t realise my CO2 was through the roof till I put them in and they were at the surface gasping, it was at 10bps I’ve switched it off for now, but how long will it take to gas off a 300 litre tank? I’ve raised lily pipes to create a lot of surface agitation and put the discus in a small bare tank with a hang on filter till it’s safe? Once it’s safe I’ll try 3bps and start there.

TIA

Discus are only 3 inch and 3 of them, might see if I can find my old drop checker now you mention it

Funny as the rasbora in there didn’t seem bothered by that amount of CO2

Use air pump and air stones, plenty of surface agitation to increase gas exchange.
It is a good sign that the rasboras have not been affected badly. Larger fish are more affected but it tells CO2 saturation is not high enough to bother small fish

Are you sure you’re ‘through the roof’ with co2? You know that fish can acclimatise to it after only a few hours. If you run gas, you’ll need add stock way before the co2 starts. I’ve had Rams and Angels which went a little drunk and happy at the surface because I added them mid co2 injection - you live and learn.

My immediate thought was the co2 was too high yet my Cardinals, Amano shrimp and Rasbora were perfectly fine (been there for around 4 years).

The German rams were fine after that initial day and a week later were spawning!

9d7f4c33450e6127360f75a6ed445b3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well 10 bps in a 300litre is toooooo much, I used to run it happily at 4 ish and everyone was happy inc plants, it’s through an in-line atomizer too so it’s to efficient, I’ve thrown my DC back in to check, can’t remember how long they take to give a colour change tho. In fact that’s why my assassin snails died then, added when CO2 had run out and re filled cilinder, turned on and they vanished

Been off the forums for years and this tank has ticked over fine with monthly water changes and ferts when I can be bothered.

Well 10 bps in a 300litre is toooooo much, I used to run it happily at 4 ish and everyone was happy inc plants, it’s through an in-line atomizer too so it’s to efficient, I’ve thrown my DC back in to check, can’t remember how long they take to give a colour change tho

Usually a few hours minimum. You’ll not get a true reading though as you’ve cut the supply.

I’m dialling mine back in since reengineering the JBL in-line by adding another washer since they made it too long for the ceramic or the ceramic too short for the housing

Either way, I’m running about 10bps in a 150L and it’s taking 4.5 hours to turn lime green because I’m running lots of surface agitation. My tank is an Osaka though so small footprint and 2 feet deep. I need more o2 in the tank along with co2

Discus are back in, colours are good, no signs of stress, will start at 2 bps tomorrow and up it slowly till I hit 4 I reckon, thanks for the help

Looks amazing and the Discus are beautiful!

Thanks bud Been a very slow burner for a long time, you can’t see the 40 or so micro rasbora in there but hopefully the discus will scare them into schooling again, they got so comfy in the tank they stopped after about 3 months

Lovely tank :)

though the discus would be happier if you added another three ;)
- if two pair, they'll make life miserable for the third, of one decides to be a snot, he'll make life miserable for the other two ...

Lovely tank :)

though the discus would be happier if you added another three ;)
- if two pair, they'll make life miserable for the third, of one decides to be a snot, he'll make life miserable for the other two ...

Yeah I will be adding another 2, they’re better kept in odd numbers, hierarchy etc, had them a few times in the past. Will have to thin out the rasbora first tho, don’t want the tank becoming over crowded to quickly, bioload will shoot through the roof shortly. :nailbiting:

Which rasbora do you have?

Looks like a fairly lightly stocked tank in the photo, but a horde could be hiding in the "island" ;)

I don't worry too much about bioload change (within reason) - just feed alternate days for the first week or two, increase water change frequency (syphon off extra food if you need to feed the discus heavily at first) - as long as your filter is suited to the tank & bioload, tank should cope

Plants will also do a lot to "absorb" extra bioload, though this is obviously best done by rapidly growing plants
(rather than Buce & Microsorum sp)

Which rasbora do you have?

Looks like a fairly lightly stocked tank in the photo, but a horde could be hiding in the "island" ;)

I don't worry too much about bioload change (within reason) - just feed alternate days for the first week or two, increase water change frequency (syphon off extra food if you need to feed the discus heavily at first) - as long as your filter is suited to the tank & bioload, tank should cope

Plants will also do a lot to "absorb" extra bioload, though this is obviously best done by rapidly growing plants
(rather than Buce & Microsorum sp)

There’s around 40 or so dwarf harlequins in there at the moment.

I’ve had a couple of bad experiences over the 15 years I’ve been doing this with adding huge bioloads all of a sudden so do prefer the stage method.

It’s defo well filtered, ehiem and JBL chucking out around 4000 LPH but right now I’ve turned one down till the discus acclimatise, hope fully the montecarlo will suck up some of the bioload, that’s a quick grower.

Back