• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What on earth is this in my filter ?

Polly

Went to change the filter pad in my Juwel Primo 110 LED today, something I do twice a week as it gets dirty surprisingly quickly, and something unexpected made me jump.

On removing the pad, I find a roundish orange body about 1cm. Pictures below taken with magnifyer app.

20180506_144404-432x768.jpg 20180506_144537-432x768.jpg

Anyone else seen anything like this? The tank has been running since the end of March this year.
All fish happy and healthy, plants growing nicely, I've had to trim back the moss as it went nuts.
Filter pad gets dirty as 4 large Corydoras constantly stirring up the substrate (cat litter again ) and there was definitely nothing on it when it went n !

Hahaha Kezzab It gave me a start when my fingers touched it !

Angus, thanks for that.
Wouldn't a biofilm be less of a 'structure' ? Unless you mean a slime mould or similar ?

I was inclined towards a fungal body of some sort, but the fact of it being underwater and in the filter flow seems to make that less likely.

Will have to research some more ....

Don't you love the unexpected stuff that crops up in tanks, not

Went to change the filter pad in my Juwel Primo 110 LED today, something I do twice a week as it gets dirty surprisingly quickly, and something unexpected made me jump.

On removing the pad, I find a roundish orange body about 1cm. Pictures below taken with magnifyer app.

View attachment 115195 View attachment 115196

Anyone else seen anything like this? The tank has been running since the end of March this year.
All fish happy and healthy, plants growing nicely, I've had to trim back the moss as it went nuts.
Filter pad gets dirty as 4 large Corydoras constantly stirring up the substrate (cat litter again ) and there was definitely nothing on it when it went n !

Perhaps Bryozoa?

Would be cool if it was a bryozoa, propper intriguing organism, my thinking on it being an iron feeding bacteria was based on where you found it, as this convenient wiki article states on iron-oxidizing bacteria, "Iron-oxidizing bacteria colonize the transition zone where de-oxygenated water from an anaerobic environment flows into an aerobic environment." if you could photograph it submerged it might tell us if it is a bryozoa or not as the structure will be easier to see. :)

Back