• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What livestock to add?

jameson_uk

I have a 180l pretty heavily planted tank and my original stocking was
Black Neon Tetras (10)
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (10)
Sterbai Cory (10)
Otos (6)
Amano Shrimp (10)
Nerites (5)

Which seemed quite balanced.

Some time later the rainbows have all died and current stocking is
Black Neon Tetras (14)
Guppy (8)
Sterbai Cory (9)
Otos (4)
Amanos (8)
Nerites (4)

There is also a SAE in there that will be getting rehomed shortly.

I figure this leaves me a little capacity to add some more fish but not sure which way to go.

I was thinking of a number of options
  • Bump up the black neon tetras by say 12
  • Add a second school of tetras (perhaps 12 neons or green neons)
  • Say 9 Bloodfin tetras
  • A load of Cory Hastatus

I would like all of these fish anyway but not sure which way to go.

Which way would you go?

OK No takers so in a nutshell given the stocking above I have got this down to
  • Add 9-12 more Black Neon Tetras
  • Add 12-15 Neon Tetras
Which do you think would be better the better option in a fairly jungley tank?

More of your existing fish is the way I'd go. I used to keep a little group of several species but now I wouldn't keep more than 3 species in a tank as I find it just looks better.

More of your existing fish is the way I'd go. I used to keep a little group of several species but now I wouldn't keep more than 3 species in a tank as I find it just looks better.
I know this is the right way to go but a weekend trip to Chester Zoo where they had a massive tank with hundreds on neon tetra made me want them! I did wonder whether the black and normal neons would school together but I think you are right and I just need to bump up the numbers

I know this is the right way to go but a weekend trip to Chester Zoo where they had a massive tank with hundreds on neon tetra made me want them! I did wonder whether the black and normal neons would school together but I think you are right and I just need to bump up the numbers

If you like normal neons then go for those. As long as you get enjoyment that's all that matters and I doubt you will see them staying at different end, they likely just all group together ish.

If you like normal neons then go for those. As long as you get enjoyment that's all that matters and I doubt you will see them staying at different end, they likely just all group together ish.
I am not sure 12-15 is enough to make an impact where as 25 black neons probably would.

Perhaps I just need another tank :p

Black neons can intimidate lesser tetras, I like your idea of a larger shoal of black neons best
- or switch them out for a shoal of cardinals etc if you want the blue/red

Sundadanio are interesting, but also much more sensitive fish

As long as your well filtered what about bumping up the black neons to 20 and adding 20 green neons?

Would take your stocking level to around 90% according to aqadvisor

Pygmy cories are grand but need 20+ AND suitable companions to see them shoaling mid-water (I suspect)

It will definitely look better with lots of Black Neons.
You just need to get another tank for your normal Neons. Simples :)

Back