• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes in a planted tank while cycling?

Water changes in a fully planted tank while cycling?

• Yes

• No

• Well, here's the thing...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm no expert, but I personally prefer to do the water changes to avoid algae etc, it might mean a slower cycle perhaps (not sure), but if you have plants (or fish), its inevitably going to cycle regardless

Hi all,
Is it necessary or advisable to do water changes in a fully planted tank while cycling?
Yes, you need water changes, but it is back to how you define cycling, and <"whether it is a valid concept">.

When you are using plant/microbe bio-filtration you don't need to add ammonia during tank establishment, and elevated ammonia levels are likely to be <"counter-productive in terms of establishing a diverse and resilient microbial assemblage">, so water change away.

cheers Darrel

Hi
The more waterchanges U do the better if U ask me.
U have established tank if Im not mistaken.Scoop a handfull of top layer of sand(substrate) from it scatter it in the new one. U not only need too seed the filter but all surfaces.I had some lava stones in one of my little tanks sump.Pulled some out put in new tank scattered arround plus some plants from other tanks of mine and even with new filter tank is ready in no time.
Regards Konsa

So many conflicting 'arguments' on the net - and nothing conclusive - so I'll ask here (my trusted source): Is it necessary or advisable to do water changes in a fully planted tank while cycling?
Yes, 2X 50% per week for the first 6-8 weeks is not unreasonable.

Cheers,

I do 50% each day for first week, 50% every other day for the second week, every 3 days for the third and then once a week. On my second week now and no algae in sight yet, to my eyes at least

High tech tank YES definatly, I didn't do them for long as had done a long DSM and had precycled the filter before flooding so had livestock in within a week with ADA AS.

Low tech as with WC I would say less freqent and lower percent at first compared to high tech OFC

Back