• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hatching Brine Shrimp

Hooky

Hope this is okay to post here wasn’t too sure where to post. I set up my first hatchery yesterday in an attempt to start feeding all my fry tanks with BBS rather than just Microworms as suggested by a local breeder. Unfortunately I hadn’t given much thought on heating the hatchery to optimum temperature. I currently have a stable temperature of around 18c / 19c, I am aware this will slow down the hatching time but has anyone successfully hatched BBS at these kind of temperatures?

I have done this in 21/22c. There was very small amount compared to 27c. I hope this help.

Try to get some heat if at all possible. Brine shrimp eggs will seem expensive if you only get 5% or less hatching.
Depending on your hatchery (I use 2l pop bottles, so no problem) you can put it in a small tank with a heaterstat to keep it warm.

Brine shrimp hatchery.jpg

Something like this. Also useful for anything else you need to keep warm, like that leaf full of Angelfish eggs in the pic, or even as a quarantine/hospital tank if you put a flowerpot cave and some plastic plants in.
Note there are two bottles of brine shrimp eggs, to ensure a constant supply of nauplii.
hth

Back