• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Browning brital leaves

20180513_170315.jpg
20180513_170333.jpg
20180513_170333.jpg

Can t see how it can be flow cause all my plants are swaying and can see the co2 all over the tank being put in by a inline atomizer every plant is pearlin just don't see why the hc would melt in patches

Mines could be flow but I also struggle to think it is as I have just a 22l tiny tank with an aqua one 700 aquaris filter on it so it’s hugely oversized for it. Maybe as I’ve pointed the return to the co2 diffuser it’s lessened but I too can see the bubbles flowing around.

I don’t however notice any plants swaying :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah mine is only 23ltr and have an oase bio master 250 with 600ltr per hr with in line atomizer tank is saturated with co2 Can see the mist every where could the melt be to do with the fish bio load as i only put fish in 2 weeks ago but the hc is still lush and thick

Ph profile done is 7.4 1 hr co2 kicks in drops steadily when lights come on ph is 6.4 and drop checker lime green on the more yellow side had no issues till trimmed a couple of weeks ago

What's the pH when CO2 goes off? or is it still 6.4!

Can t see how it can be flow cause all my plants are swaying and can see the co2 all over the tank being put in by a inline atomizer every plant is pearlin just don't see why the hc would melt in patches

Is the filter turned off when you took the pics as the surface of the water looks very calm. You could rise your lily pipe outlet to increase the water movement. But melting plants is a classic CO2 problem esp if it's the carpet when every other plant is fine. Needs more flow at carpet level.

Increasing the turnover will increase CO2 loss so pH profile will need checking and an adjustment of the BPS may be needed and start CO2 on time.

Yeah it fixes at 6.4 took me ages to dial it in to what I thought was almost perfect 30ppm tried not to get to distracted by the drop checker and took more notice of ph profile over a week there is a shimmer on the wall from the surface flow

Attachments

• 20180513_185442.jpg
    20180513_185442.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 100
Just cleaned my tank - this is the flow I have which I think is pretty high? 600lph but 400lph working, 22l tank so even if it’s half that it’s still around 10 times right?

I’ll see if positioning the return lily pipe here helps and if not I’ll add another powerhead and see if that helps - do you think corner or middle of the tank would be better flow? Not sure as it’s only a small 22l similar to Jay’s.

http://sendvid.com/1if4t297

My out flow is back right facing left with inflow back right facing front to draw the water round the bottom it's trial and error to find the best movement around the tank I like some taller grasses to see the movement even my mini hair grass moves slightly and that is furthest away from out flow

Last edited:
Just cleaned my tank - this is the flow I have which I think is pretty high? 600lph but 400lph working, 22l tank so even if it’s half that it’s still around 10 times right?

I’ll see if positioning the return lily pipe here helps and if not I’ll add another powerhead and see if that helps - do you think corner or middle of the tank would be better flow? Not sure as it’s only a small 22l similar to Jay’s.

http://sendvid.com/1if4t297

Flow does look good! Could do with ceg4048 opinion on the issue!

Jay,
Try moving to outlet pipes to the back wall so that the flow goes from back to front.
When you have issues like this you have to play around with the outlet pipes.
Our eyes are not good enough to see what the water is doing.

Cheers,

Ok so both pointing forward should I try both on one side first and my plants at the back have gone back to having the brown brittle leaves again ceg

Ok so both pointing forward should I try both on one side first and my plants at the back have gone back to having the brown brittle leaves again ceg

Same issue I think but the flow is massively increased now I’ve moved pipes. Such a tiny tank I thought corner to corner would promote better flow

If the tank is a rectangle then it is always best to allow the flow from the pumps to travel across the SHORTEST distance so that energy of the flow is conserved as much as possible. If the tank is a cube then obviously it does not matter. Front-to-Back should always be tried first.

Cheers,

If the tank is a rectangle then it is always best to allow the flow from the pumps to travel across the SHORTEST distance so that energy of the flow is conserved as much as possible. If the tank is a cube then obviously it does not matter. Front-to-Back should always be tried first.

Cheers,

So with shortest distance the water will have more momentum when it hits the glass so should deflect downwards towards the carpet with more energy and move more of the water at the bottom as it would if it had to travel a longer distance. Makes sense when you point it out.
So it follows on if the flow is flowing a longer distance you will need a higher turnover rate to achieve the same CO2 distribution as running the flow a shorter distance!

Ok so I have put the pipes facing forward so could the flow be the issue in the plant dicolouring dosing macros and micro alternate days but I still feel that there is a plant defiance but I can't see why there would be doing 10ml macro sun tue thur micro 10ml mon wed fri with rest day Saturday and 50% water change on Sundays also get a lot of the green dust kinda alge on the tank glass

So with shortest distance the water will have more momentum when it hits the glass so should deflect downwards towards the carpet with more energy and move more of the water at the bottom as it would if it had to travel a longer distance. Makes sense when you point it out.
So it follows on if the flow is flowing a longer distance you will need a higher turnover rate to achieve the same CO2 distribution as running the flow a shorter distance!
Yes, this is generally true because water is quite dense and heavy, so it loses inertia quite quickly unless it is being muscled or cajoled.
It requires an entire world the size of the moon to distort the space-time continuum enough as it passes by to force the ocean to rise in a six foot tide.
Contemplate those titanic forces and compare them to that of your wimpy little pump - just to get some perspective.

Ok so I have put the pipes facing forward so could the flow be the issue in the plant dicolouring dosing macros and micro alternate days but I still feel that there is a plant defiance but I can't see why there would be doing 10ml macro sun tue thur micro 10ml mon wed fri with rest day Saturday and 50% water change on Sundays also get a lot of the green dust kinda alge on the tank glass
I suggest you take a closer look at that algae on the glass to confirm it's appearance.
Green Dust Algae (GDA) is a serious issue and typically won't go away very easily.
This is normally caused by excessive light in relation to available CO2/flow/distribution.

Had you increased the lighting recently? Can you get a close up, in-focus image of the algae? Is it soft and slick or is it rough to the touch?
This has nothing to do with macro/micro dosing scheme and has everything to do with light.
If it's possible to reduce the intensity then that would be the first place to start.

Cheers,

Ok.its a green sticky substance that wipes away very easily to i had increased my light from 4 to 5 about a week ago I've done a 50~ water change tonight and wiped it all away my snails eat away at it but I seem to get a a thin layer every 3-4 days I've dropped the light a back to 3 that's 50%

It requires an entire world the size of the moon to distort the space-time continuum enough as it passes by to force the ocean to rise in a six foot tide.
Haha @ceg4048, You are certainly emphatic in your explanations! I am going to have a continuous smile on my face for the rest of the afternoon. :p

Back