• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Olympus is Calling.

Thanks for your kind comments on tank Chris :) esp after seeing/reading your journel The Lazy Asain Biotype epic :clap:

Hate waiting as was ready to buy XF230 X2 as they would fit great. Plus reduce hardware in tank then reduction in plumbing too. Be great on WC day ‘Max Power’ till the detritus gets in suspension and filter removes it :cigar:.

The XF250 has a minimum output of 5000lph and two XF250 might just fit being 11.8 inches wide each. But minimum output of 10,000lph and max 40,000lph is just too powerful. Plus the controlors are model dependant also. So has to two of the same models for one controler. So best to wait and get better laminar flow/gyre with the twin XF330 model.

Thanks for your kind comments on tank Chris :) esp after seeing/reading your journel The Lazy Asain Biotype epic :clap:

Hate waiting as was ready to buy XF230 X2 as they would fit great. Plus reduce hardware in tank then reduction in plumbing too. Be great on WC day ‘Max Power’ till the detritus gets in suspension and filter removes it :cigar:.

The XF250 has a minimum output of 5000lph and two XF250 might just fit being 11.8 inches wide each. But minimum output of 10,000lph and max 40,000lph is just too powerful. Plus the controlors are model dependant also. So has to two of the same models for one controler. So best to wait and get better laminar flow/gyre with the twin XF330 model.

Haha.... I like to leave my detritus where it is, low tech fertiliser...! The Lazy Asian is a very different beast to your's though...

Someone wise once said "Good things come to those who wait" I find this particularly true with aquariums... sounds like you are wise...

Blackout

upload_2018-6-10_14-59-23.png

Wasnt really needed but was about to run out of CO2 (used spare when back from hols and not had time :rolleyes:) and would be without CO2 for a couple of days. So double 50% WC all ferts/LC off, no lights, air pump on 24/7. Had some GSA on Anubis on DW which I had planned to put in a dark plastic tub for a week to clear it up but will see how this goes.

Also picked up a Hanna pH probe quite shocking how much of a pH drop I was actually getting :oops: and got a JBL DC on the way. Just need better Turnover IMO, taped up a few holes in spraybar which has helped

Backout went well, cleaned up what algea there was and after going to Aquarium Gardens think I was wasnt actually that bad at all :oops:

But the tank was suffering from reduced flow, So took out the C.Bal and the trident which was at the top of the tank, one peice of driftwood which was a big flow reducer esp when full of trident.

Three tubs of Hygrophila pinnatifida one of Hygrophila “Araguaia” tube of Gorilla gel and

upload_2018-7-1_19-16-16.png

upload_2018-7-1_19-16-50.png

upload_2018-7-1_19-17-49.png

Flow is tons better OFC and the Hygrophila should fill in niclely esp seeing it likes light just need to pinch the heads out as its gets going. Much more light landing on carpet on wall side of tank OFC planted a few micro swords and MHG harvested from the rest of the carpet, still needs a bit more OFC
Also put some of the Hygrophila in the anubias and trident which should reduce the light landing on them also as it fills in, well thats the plan ;)

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-1_19-18-18.png
    upload_2018-7-1_19-18-18.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Hi Zeus. I'm a noob and working on a similar layout albeit on a very different scale. You have a great scape there and the details in this journal are a great resource for me. Thanks for taking the time to document all of this.

Your welcome and glad you find it helpful. I do it for myself mainly to see where I was at and how its all going and to share my experiences good or bad. Wish I had put I bit more details in some ways, but thats hindsight for you.

Two weeks on from mini rescape and the Hygrophila pinnatifida and Hygrophila “Araguaia” are doing well
upload_2018-7-16_18-59-17.png

upload_2018-7-16_19-1-19.png

Pinched out the head of one of the Hygrophila pinnatifida already, had different colour leaves of the Hygrophila pinnatifida due to them being different brands but have all gone the same colour as expected. Also been transplanted some of the MHG from other area of tank and a little I had growing submerged in tub in garden.

Increased the light intensity in all zones a bit but with the better flow and more suitable plants its not been an issue
upload_2018-7-16_19-8-30.png

The main carpet does seem to be picking up with a gentle pearling at times plus a little new root growth in the substrate. Carpet could do with a trim but going to leave it a bit longer to increase its energy reserves as I feel its been running on low reserves for some time

@zeus got an update for us? :)
Read through your journal again and started where I left off. Looks like the tank has been running great for you :D personally im very pleased with the results you have been having.

Got back off Holiday this morning so been two weeks since the tanks filters have been cleaned did a fast 50% WC day before I went on 10day break, decided on no change for Ferts Lights etc and do a Big WC tonight first night back. Then BIG clean up WC at weekend. Plenty of GDA on Glass so pics very 'green' in post.

N.B.due the the possibility of the water company will be treating the water with chloramine instead of chlorine ATM with the current heatwave and high temps, will be double dosing prime and filter will be off on filling

Trident back to struggling, it fills in looks great then is crippled by its reduced flow and melts. It was fine 10 days ago, but WC over due as well will have compounded the Flow issue as well IMO
upload_2018-8-7_19-16-35.png
upload_2018-8-7_19-19-23.png

Needs a good trim of the melting leaves, Think the Gryes should resolve this flow issue as the plant fills in.

Hygrophila pinnatifida and Hygrophila “Araguaia” Filling in nicely

upload_2018-8-7_19-21-31.png

upload_2018-8-7_19-24-15.png

Carpet picking up too!

upload_2018-8-7_19-25-34.png

Obviously above the compensation point for the light at the Substrate level. In need of a good trim IMO But the trim will be a BIG Job

The GDA is spoiling the quality of the PICs OFC. But we all get Algae/melt at times so documenting it for all to see is good IMO

This journal has now been moved to the Featured Journals section, discussed amongst Mods and recommended by@ian_m

Congrats and keep it up :thumbup::clap::clap::clap:

This journal has now been moved to the Featured Journals section

:eek: Speechless Guys, Thank you :D:D:D Made my return to work day after holiday that's for sure :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Will tidy up some of the sections and add more info to try and make it worthy of the honour :happy::happy::happy:

Congrats on featured journals section :D thats awesome.
Comment:
have never seen java fern sp. though (specifically needle leaf) deteriorate just due to flow conditions... ive actually seen it in high and low flow, you sure thats the issue? :bookworm:
and hehe I guess I picked the right day to ask for an update :clap:

have never seen java fern sp. though (specifically needle leaf) deteriorate just due to flow conditions... ive actually seen it in high and low flow, you sure thats the issue? :bookworm:

Well think the issue is the light intensity which is needed to keep the carpet going 50cm deep , the trident copes with when the flow is good, but when it fills in resulting in less flow localised flow around the trident then melts. This must be the fourth time its happened on me.

When do you think the Gyre will be added?

Was about to order them and was chatting with the Maxspect UK distributor about models output etc they was saying to get the XF250 as its so quiet ! but two XF230 whould be a better fit IMO, few emails later they informed me that the XF230 had a new version coming out in September 2018 which was as quiet as the XF250 with a better blade design. So plan to get them as soon as they hit the UK. Think it they will make flow control so easy with the controller too. Just max them out for 20mins with 18,000 L/H output and let the filter get all the detritus out of suspension:cigar: then can have the twin gryes on different % outputs at different times so the dead spot will be moving about in the tank all the time. I have great hopes for them. Never mind the plumbing I will get rid off too.

To aid myself to keep a record of light setting and ferts I will add the current details as they change, always handy to keep a log ;)

during holiday a few few weeks previous
upload_2018-8-12_11-51-51.png

Big WC trimming day - wife was out of town so ideal day to make a mess :lol:

Trident was looking quite bad too and the Anubis need a cut back as reducing flow also the Hygrophila pinnatifida had algea on some of the lower leaves and the leaves was starting to brake down - too much light! not enough ferts! too long with no WC! so turn the lights down a bit and ferts to 150%

Cleaned GDA from glass waffed substrate and 50% WC then cleaned filter double dosed Prime.

Removed DW for easy access to carpet

upload_2018-8-12_12-1-11.png

So trimmed carpet several Hours later and two 50% WC later
upload_2018-8-12_12-4-49.png

Sorry about the glare as hood wasn't on plus water hadn't settled either! that was Friday. Left hood off and glass covers so I could keep getting the little bits out as the surfaced.

Saturday - sorted the trident out it was a mess IMO but may of found the reason why from Tim Harrisons thread :rolleyes: could be ;). cut the Anubias back a bit in places put DW back in and Forgot photos :banghead: well wife was back and there was bit of a mess :wacky:#
Also noticed it took 57mins to get the pH drop with the glass covers off which the two days before it only took 42mins
Did another 50% WC this morning sunday plus clean the filter again- surprising how much detritus was in the sponges so well worth the extra clean with having done a big trimming :thumbup: and increase the ferts to a 'Luxury dose' too ;)

upload_2018-8-12_17-2-7.png

Hygrophila pinnatifida was just about pearling at the lower light setting last night and carpet was sulking I think after the trim:lol:

will get some pics tonight :thumbup:

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_11-51-1.png
    upload_2018-8-12_11-51-1.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 263
  • upload_2018-8-12_12-25-22.png
    upload_2018-8-12_12-25-22.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I gotta start tracking my stuff lol
I envy you for that currently :lol:

I'm bad for keeping a record of changes, up the lights bit few weeks later bit more then rinse repeat 8 weeks later where was it at to start with :rolleyes:, when did I change the light ? 3 weeks or 6 weeks ago :arghh: same with the ferts :oops: Hence the reason I thought I would start putting it in my Journal, if for no other reason than for myself :thumbup: in search for that elusive 'sweat spot'

Back