• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon Fatalities

Coys

I bought a group of 15 largish neons today from my LFS. They were part of a large group of several hundred and all looked healthy. Took them home, floated the bag for about 10 minutes and then went to open the bag to start slowly adding some of my water and found that all were either dead or dying. Took them straight back and was given another batch, all of which are now happily swimming around in a tight shoal and feeding.

I've never seen that happen before. What could have been the problem? I thought maybe shock, but all 15? Maybe something nasty in the bag they were transferred in or the net? The second bag was significantly larger than the first, although I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Detail missing from your report but

- something on the net? Easily
Nets are often stored in disinfectant solution, many don't rinse before use, just depending on tank volume to dissipate any residue (mostly works, but if disinfectant has just been replaced it can be an issue - especially with shrimp)

- something in the bag? Unusual but could explain effect

- insufficient oxygen in bag? Maybe, how long, how hot???
Larger bag would likely improve water/oxygen/fish (respiration etc waste) triangle ... maybe shop added oxygen or air to bag this time as well

- physical shock if bag was dropped (fish often survive this but it's never a good thing)

Insufficient oxygen? Maybe; the first bag was quite small, the second much larger (possibly 5x), with a much larger air space, but this shop does not add oxygen from a tank, unlike another I use. Fish were in bag for 15 mins from shop and 10 mins floating to equalise temperature, after which I intended to start adding my own water. Bag was definitely not dropped at any time.

What important detail was missing from my report? Happy to give more info if it would help.

Last edited:
Travel time - which you've answered now
Water volume to fish volume - difficult to estimate but fish should always "look" comfortable in the water volume
Fish placement in car etc - always ensure not near a heater or sunny window as bag temperature can rise quickly & water oxygen level can drop significantly

Were fish & bag always in your sight? - bag may've dropped off counter etc
(seldom fatal but definitely stressful which would mean increased respiration & ammonia & CO2 in the bag)

I've had a similar experience with Microdevario kubotai (which are oxygen sensitive) - shop had just done a water change on tank, then caught fish, bagged etc
An hour later, almost all fish in bag were dead
I returned to shop next day, this time shop added oxygen to the bag, otherwise no change in bagging ... fish were fine
Shop hadn't noticed any dead fish in tank (I had called to confirm)

Definitely not dropped; I walked from the tank to the counter with him. Bag was on passenger seat (as was the replacement), but A/C was on and car was cool. I reckon it must have been either the small bag (I didn't think it looked big enough for 15 fish, but assumed that he believed it to be sufficient) and low air "bubble" or a contaminated net combined with the small bag and low water volume.

All 17 (he gave me two extra) are fine this morning.

You should never float the bag in the tank, especially if opened exactly because of oxygen and the small surface area a plastic bag provides when opened. I am guessing it was sort of stuck and folded to the side in order to secure it?

If you want to drip acclimate, use a bucket and an air line or just flop and drop the fish by pouring the lot into a net to drain the store water and in the tank....

You should never float the bag in the tank, especially if opened exactly because of oxygen and the small surface area a plastic bag provides when opened. I am guessing it was sort of stuck and folded to the side in order to secure it?

If you want to drip acclimate, use a bucket and an air line or just flop and drop the fish by pouring the lot into a net to drain the store water and in the tank....

The bag was unopened and the aquarium lid was removed.

Back