• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Big planted tank needs leds.

Candy-Apple

Seedling
So I have an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft on order and I want to use LEDs this time for my plants. Also going to use co2. I just don’t know what lights to get. They need to fix to the hood any suggestions? I’ve looked at fluval and the juwel leds also eBay full spectrum. I have fried my brain and need help please.

I’ve always had a planted tanks 30+ years but never high tech. I’m running a juwel vision 450 at the mo and will be moving it to the 8ft. I have t5 tubes x4 at the mo and all plants are looking good with growth. I have a small amount of co2 going in and using Tropica premium nutrition. New tank = new updated tech stuff

Unless you go dimmable/programmable, T5 will be much more economic way to light this tank

If you've the budget Giesemann do some fantastic LED/T5 combined systems - or use them as an inspiration for a DIY approach

Depending how the hood is designed, most anything can go inside, though with LED you'll need to ensure cooling

F1983972-47CA-43B2-9951-3317C84A13ED.jpeg
F4CB7743-ECBA-4952-8910-6331C5398D43.jpeg
31A6377A-5199-4221-A690-3C951AB8FC44.jpeg
7A6BE46C-5E70-4215-BAB7-FFC28BC37159.jpeg
Collecting wood and letting the plants over grow ready for epic move. Pics attached

So I have an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft on order and I want to use LEDs this time for my plants. Also going to use co2.

So planning an easy tank then:eek: I have 5ft x 2ft x 2ft high tech tank and it’s not been easy ( journal in sig)mine is open hooded and have four kessil 160 tunasuns and 4 or 6 36w T5 also. Getting the leds into the hood can be tricky, plus the hood makes maintance more time consuming esp if using CO2. Unless your pockets are deep getting a dimmable LED ballast and some T5 tubes which should fit relatively easy in the hood may be the best option even if they are more expensive to run as alto surgusted. If you are happy to make a DIY set there’s lots of folk on here who have the experience to advise you. Do you have a budget for your lights?
Think first it may be best to think what scape plants your planning or carpet. Then choosing the right light will be easier. Also what filter/filters/powerheads/spraybars are you planning? To get the turnover good enough to get good CO2 implementation. My turnover is about 6000lph for a 500l tank which now with increased biomass isn’t enough esp with having a carpet.

Hope that’s helps and welcome to the forum:)
Keep us updated:thumbup:

Consider getting 2 4 foot lights. Not sure which brands you have.

Or perhaps AI Prime HD x 4.

Either way the cost will be significant, both in acquisition and running.

Whatever you get you want it to be on the high side with the option to scale down the intensity. There's nothing worse then not having enough light when everything grows in and you need to bump it up. Obviously, due to the subsequent saving cost LEDs are the best option. You can also do a brighter area for high light plants and a darker dritwood, anubias, and bucephalandra side perhaps...

8F is a big tank. There'll be a of work if you're going high tech...I can't wait for the journal :), which I hope is to follow :p

It is possible to do a low tech setup and add some CO2. I did it on my 400 gallon. I added a few BPS 24/7, it helped growth i am sure. Would my supplier not have gone bust i probably still would add some.

I think I’m put off high tech. Maybe I go for a nice planted tank with low light plants.

Thought that a few times myself with mine, esp with the maintiance.
The Lazy Asian Biotope well worth a read, as as Edvet surgested a little CO2 can go a long way. Chris 6.5kg bottle lasted years at 1bps.

I agree with Darrel. Lighting is so overrated and folks get into a lot of trouble with their tanks because of it. LEDs will not grow your plants any better than fluorescent bulbs. Have a look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum section for the various colors you can get from standard office bulbs.

Cheers,

Back