• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp food recommendations

Zoe

Looking to get my cherry shrimp soon and I'm wondering what food you all recommend?

I feed Hikari Shrimp Cuisine sometimes, however I think using it as a staple would be too much protein. I only have 5 shrimp so they probably could live off the biofilm on wood and plants alone.

Some people feed Zucchini, Lettuce and other veggies but I've never tried it so you will probably have to look into that.

Oscar

Mine love a good snowflake stick, i think shrimpking do a version called snowflake pops, but the ones i got were generic pellet ones.

Kale/spinach, do you blanch it first or just give it a good wash and pop it in?
Mulberry leaves are best fed freshly picked, same with spinach i just give it a good wash, kale is a bit tougher i have found the fish and shrimp won't touch it unless blanched, nettles are also great for shrimp.

Mulberry leaves are best fed freshly picked, same with spinach i just give it a good wash, kale is a bit tougher i have found the fish and shrimp won't touch it unless blanched, nettles are also great for shrimp.
Great, I’ll try them with those, thank you!

Apart from surface sterilisation it causes the leaf to wilt by partially cooking the outer surface making it an easier meal to get at, it also makes it easier to sink to the substrate, or stay there if placed. I did a side by side of fresh and blanched nettle, blanched got munched immediately, the fresh needed to sit a while until it was not so fresh. Shrimp will eat whatever is easiest.

Back