• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 60P - nature aquarium

I can never decide about otocinclus - they're much happier in groups but I never have enough algae to support more than 2-3 (in a similar sized tank), then they love to snack on any new sword leaves, or Nymphaea leaves
I'm never successful at getting them to eat fresh vegetables or pellets (the plant leaves taste better I guess)

I see recommendations to keep them in groups of at least 6 ... but is this really enough for a fish that seems to only be found in massive shoals in nature
A single or duo will remain in good condition, displaying fairly quiet behaviour
The greatest activity I've observed is when they're kept in large groups in large tanks

I have a couple now - remnants from a group of 7, & since then Otos have been in short supply in the shops for several months

Of course whether I purchase them or not, they will continue to be sold in fish shops & I suspect my tank is a bit more suitable than some

Hi alto
My ottos are very keen on Hikari algae wafers.As long as U feed in one spot and there are no beastly amanos to rob the food they do well on them.As for when buying them I get a piece of new redmoor wood with thick part on it that has not been in water before from shop and pin it down in my eastablished tank for few weeks they just love the white slime and the initial film that appears on it and that helps me to boost them up.
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've just changed my mind, instead of otocinclus I'll buy some more female stiphodon;

180429050210431741.jpg

180429050224772432.jpg

180429050224598234.jpg

I've spotted the female stiphodon eating BBA and cyanobacteria last week, awesome , unfornutaly coulnd't take a pic but these fishes are définitively the best algae eaters I've seen. They do seem to love the setup even with CO2 (oxygénation at night with added waterpump though).

Roseus tetras are fully acclimated now and even spawning in the ferns, would be nice to have babies!

Cheers

You can likely add another male as well (if these fish are seldom available you may want "backup" boys just in case) or possibly try a trio of males as this often works out better - though I'd feel more comfortable trying this in a 90cm tank or if you've other tanks to move fish into if needed

Some species are much more territorial than others - depending on shop conditions, watching them for good while may tell you whether additional males would be worth trying

thanks for the tip, we'll see if my LGS got some another male in stock but I don't think so, last time I went there they only got some S.Semoni in stock (male and female).

I could go with Semoni female as they're nearly identical to my Percnopterygionus female.

Anyway, I'm now trying to clean my tanin (that came from my river wood pieces) with one Seachem Purigen, curious to see the result, pics to come.

24hours after putting purigen bag in the filter:

The water is already clearer. :thumbup:

Now I need an background screen, what do you think; white or black?

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Cheers from interzoo 2018:
180515033619652784.jpg

Tank is getting better; my bucephalandra finally stopped melting and seems to grow fine, other plants too, less algae, I killed cyanobacteria with blue green slime remover from ultralife (awesome stuff btw). I'm still playing with ferts dosage but I'm getting there...fishes seems happy too.

I'll buy more stiphodons soon.

180515033619308999.jpg

Cheers

Bba outbreak, what should I do? I tried increasing macro and decreasing micro, more CO2...dosing easy carbo from easylife.

Otherwise, ok, still thinking of adding background stem plant but don't know which one yet

Pics:
180531083851936898.jpg

180531083849324128.jpg

Thanks

Spot dosing liquid carbon mixed 1 part LC to 5 parts water with a syringe underwater works pretty fast on BBA, just remember don't exceed recommended dosing, just use your usual daily dose mixed with tank water.

I'm thinking of adding h.pinitifida on left Wood and right Wood, thoughs?
I would not add it. I think you achieved a quite good combination of textures. HP, unless you keep it really low, will bring a very different texture/color to the ones you have in there...
I think your tank is becoming quite nice. Congratulations!

I had a huge BBA crises in my last tank. To me it is a matter of more cleaning and upping the CO2. Or make it more efficient.

Cheers.

Thanks guys,

I'm actually dosing 3ml liquid carbon in the water column per day, I will try the spot dosing next time thanks.

I'm cleaning my filter once every two months, last Time I added seachem purigen in the filter, can this thing cause troubles? Pipes and hose are dirty...

Finally, thanks for you advice Bolota, I'm thinking adding stem plants in the back right but don't know which one? Rotala sp? hm? Didiplis?

New fishes btw:

180603100655427414.jpg

180603100704513871.jpg

https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2018/06/03/180603100752364421.jpg
180603100753547485.jpg

180603100805166723.jpg

180603100827655497.jpg

Cheers

Personally, when my hoses are visibly dirty, it means dissolved organic should be rather high and its a good time to give the filter a good rinse and change the floss

If everything is at a good level, more often than not is down to maintenance thats causing the algae

Gorgeous tetras - looks like an emperor tetra body shape but not like any I've seen for sale locally :wideyed:

Curious what species the Otos were listed as :D

Tank is looking grand!

If you're looking for a touch of red, maybe some H 'Araguaia' (should be able to attach to wood as long as water nutrients are steady) - or try some 1-2-grow style H pinnatifida & keep it severely trimmed (looks good though not sure how well it does longterm when this is done)

Back