• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Pittosporum aquarium safe?

castle

I cut down a large bush of this over a year ago and dried it out. Thin branches are quite soft so unsure if it'll last too long but I'd like to give it a try...

IMG_20180601_205324844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_205324844.jpg
    IMG_20180601_205324844.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 201
I decided against the Pittosporum and went with some kinda of hard wood shrub (forgot name). Not as charming as the previous wood, but I like it more than the stuff you get in shops.

IMG_20180602_211001318_HDR.jpg

I half filled it yesterday (tanks on carpet and about 1mm out from being level :banghead:) but now I'm worried about algae thanks @Edvet

Planted it up with a random assortment, meant to be very low tech. Wood doesn't float yet, which is nice. I've tied some fishing line to some 1oz fishing weights to bring it down if needed. The plant (I'll find out the name as I was told it a couple of days ago) is a hard wood, and 'ok' so far.

About to go buy some crypts.

Here's it is half filled...
day1.jpg

We'll see how it goes (fingers crossed).

Plants: Ceratopteris thalictroides (tiny plants received :( ), Crinum calamistratum, Eleocharis acicularis, limnophila mini vietnam, Sagittaria subulata and some random weed, plus cryptocoryne Balansae and alternanthera rosaefolia which I bought on a whim. Never planted a tank the size, requires lots of plants.

IMG_0036.JPG

I don't think it's algae, so hoping this fuzz clears over the next couple of weeks. If this wood is a 'success' in this tank, I'll be using it in another.

I am not sure if it is the same sort of stuff but I used Azalea wood and had white stuff coming out for two weeks but the wood had been soaked. The white stuff was in blobs, looked slimy, but I didnt have the fine hairs as you do. Then I got diatoms. I now have amano shrimp in and they cleaned the wood up beautifullly.

Back