• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gut Parasite ID

Crossocheilus

Can anyone ID these?
I found two species present in the fresh faeces of one of my headstanders (Chilodus punctatus/gracilis). The pictures/video were taken at 100x on a microscope. I found 9 individuals of the first species and only one of the second. The first, more elongate species seemed to unfurl its... face, in order to swim using cilia and attaches to surfaces with its tail.
It doesn't seem like an infestation and no fish show any signs of weight loss but if it is a parasite, I would like to eradicate it.

Thanks,
Sam
2311e5b118de4f7514569f25c2dfce3a.jpg
f5d04b64239100c1fd9019cdc38af1ff.jpg
9a0275b676f54d53396699a417f4c88d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comparing to other microscopy online, Monogenetic or Digenetic Flukes ?
It definitely has some similarities to flukes, but I don't think it is quite right. Also they seem to be almost entirely ectoparasites (skin/gills) not intestinal.

rotifer and daphnia?
Just googled it and rotifers looks to be spot on! Interesting that they seem to survive in the digestive tract, but I assume they aren't parasitic, never heard of that. The other type definitely isn't a daphnia, but while looking at rotifer pics I did find some similar looking types with that spiky appendage (Colurella sp.).

Thanks for the help, I will assume they are harmless for now.

Back