• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possibly a dumb question... How the heck do you count your fish?

They have never shown any interest in algae wafers but I do add them for the nerites and others and there is plenty of algae and film to munch on. They have only ever shown a passing interest in that (and peas, spinach...). There are also some oak leaves in there near where they spend most of their time but I have never seen them on these leaves. Just odd that if they have died that I have never found any remains. I know the amanos would do a decent job of cleaning up but being armoured catfish I would have expected to find skeletons. Need to pull everything put and check again this weekend I think
Since this I have made it my mission to figure out how many Otos I actually have. A pulled out all the driftwood and ornaments and gave all the plants a good swish with my hand (normally more than enough to get the Otos to show themselves) and had come to the conclusion I had lost three and there was only a single Oto left. Tonight I came back and sat down next to the tank and noticed I could see two Oto tails poking out. Had a quick look and found all four I thought were in there just chilling on the back glass behind a small ornament. Was literally only sitting down for a minute before heading to LFS to buy six more. Guess I only need three more then :cool:

My Otto' s play hide and seek constantly. Strangely after a good water change they always hand out together on the front glass for an hour or so and then go back to hiding.

My Otto' s play hide and seek constantly. Strangely after a good water change they always hand out together on the front glass for an hour or so and then go back to hiding.
Mine used to which is why I got concerned. They now seem happy to hide whether they hide even when I swish their favoured crypt leaves, move things around, do a water change. I would however catch a glimpse of one every so often (particularly in the evening) and where there was one you would normally find another.

No idea why they have been better at hiding the last few months but they seem quite happy rather than cowering away so I guess it is just the thick plants make them impossible to see. They don't seem to hang on the front or side glass any more but I think this is down to the Nerites doing such a good job of cleaning there is nothing left for them. Today I found them in the gap between an ornament and the rear glass where I guess the Nerites can't get to. They seemed pretty chilled and with decent size tummies so I don't think they are going hungry. I will see if adding another three might bring them out a little more.

Just an idea that might just work pretty well.. Get those sticky tabs, for example Sera Spirulina, you can press them against the glas and they stick. Once the fish know what it is they all will gather around the tab in front of your nose.. :) Depends a bit on the sp. my Hara's don't and my T. pumila's also aren't all equaly interested, but the rasboras and boraras...

DSC_0174.jpg

Reactions: tam
I added 10 small Bloody Mary shrimp to my 22l tank the other day. They are only 0.5 - 1cm and blend in quite well with the substrate. Sure I counted six earlier

Back