• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Are these wild shrimps safe to give to fish

Daneland

There are a couple of streams close to where I live and collected some shrimp like critters and wondering whether it is safe to give them to my fish. Although my Apistos are not doing well at the moment but I am hoping them will recover. I've put them in my experiment tank and took some pictures, I think they are gammarus but wanted to check with you guys.
IMG_20180608_213748_HDR.jpg IMG_20180608_213727_HDR.jpg IMG_20180608_213650_HDR.jpg IMG_20180608_213644_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Treat them like crayfish that you would eat yourself, flush with fresh water, either by drip method or by doing a few waterchanges a day on wherever you are storing them, this should ensure they don't have any nasties in their digestive system, also you can gut load them by feeding nutritious foods. :)

Hi all,
They are fine as food. Gammarus need a lot of oxygen, and they don't tend to last well in Tropical tanks. If they are Crangonyx, they are a lot tougher.

Have a look at <"Bugs you might encounter...">, the larger Crustacean (at ~three minutes in the YouTube video) is an Asellus.

Asellus make good tank janitors, and are very tough, but some fish don't eat them.

cheers Darrel

Back