• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss Ball Maintenance

jameson_uk

I have two balls in my main tank which have gone pretty rampant but aren't very compact or spherical any more. I have been turning them most weeks but they are now looking quite ragged.

What is the best way to maintain them? How can I get them into more compact balls? If I take them out and roll them I presume I run the risk of compacting them too much and killing what is in the middle but I guess trimming won't really achieve much either. Other option I guess it to chuck them and buy new ones but figured I might as well try and tidy these ones up first.

Yes, roll them to get them back into shape, then try turning them more than once a week to keep them that way, in the wild they get rolled about a lot.

What about reducing size? They have more than doubled in size in the time I have had them. Can I split them into multiple balls? If I do can I just cut them in half or will cutting through the middle cause them to unravel?

Squeeze to keep them compact, roll for finishing, and if they get monstrous just cut into halves and re-shape, they are fairly bombproof.

As far as unravelling goes, only if they have a fissure through them or a split, if they have grown well they shouldn't come apart from cutting.

Back