• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Havent got lighting and CO2 thing right, brown algae.

peaches

Tank is just over 2 weeks old. I have dwarf hairgrass growing well as a carpet, some crypts, anubias and java moss on bogwood, and have just added some water lettuce. Brown spots of algae are appearing on leaves and in centre of tank on the dwarf hairgrass.

Details: Tank is Fluval Roma 125litre with 12 watt LED light that comes with the tank, plus a Fluval fresh and plant 32watt. I dont know the PAR or Lumens but will look it up. There is the usual fluval U3 litre, and a power head at the opposite side with a sponge on, this directs the CO2 to the front of the tank. The CO2 is a fire extinguisher with a bazooka atomiser. Tank pH was originally 7.4 but the CO2 dropped it to 6.6. I have a drop checker at the opposite side to the CO2 but I find it hard to read. Its dark green mostly. The CO2 is one to two bubbles a second.

Lighting photoperiod I originally set at 12 hours because I really like to see my fish, Im home all day. I realise that I have to reduce the photoperiod to avoid the brown algae. I cant work out whether to just use the fairly dim 12 watt light for 12 hours but time the 32watt to just do 6 hours. Im a bit disappointed because I thought by adding CO2 I might avoid the algae, but I presume it means I havent got the balance right yet.

What shall I do?

Pics show algae on crypt and dwarf hairgrass. 20180609_203606.jpg 20180609_203558.jpg

First pic is tank with both lights on. Second pic is tank with just 12w on. Third pic is to show powerhead I added today to send co2 round the front of the tank to try and avoid dead spots. Co2 comes on half an hour before lights and goes off half an hour before lights. 20180609_204355.jpg 20180609_204312.jpg 20180609_204256.jpg

That is a massive amount of light & extended photoperiod & no CO2 & no "auxiliary" plants (that I can see in photo anyway)

When starting up a tank, it's usual to be more conservative with light period - or to have loads of CO2 (& experience ;) eg, the fellows at Green Aqua & Aquaflora often run display tanks for long hours even upon setup re "open hours" (also note the use of Twinstar systems))

If you want to maintain the long photoperiod, I'd run low level CO2 24/7 with increased CO2 during photoperiod, daily water changes, rinse filter material at least weekly, run the 12watt LED 12 hours, with a midday burst of 2-4 hours from the F&P 32 watt LED, add shrimp & snails (or Otos if you intend to keep these fish)
Snails - Jurijs mit JS recommends loads of the small horned nerite species (these are my favorite as well though I've not had them in the same numbers ;) )

I prefer a skimmer over a powerhead but see how your tank responds (unless you've a skimmer already at hand, then I'd add it on :D)

It's difficult to remove algae from hair grass, some people will cut this right back though I'm never able to quite manage that ... if one area is particularly affected, you might trim that zone

I would say the brown diatom algae is pretty normal for a new start tank, keep doing regular water changes and add some algae eaters when the tank is cycled. Diatoms will reduce with time, this is not an algae to be worried about.

Thank you I will do. Alto what are auxiliary plants? I have added water lettuce and the powerhead is on. I am sourcing otos and amano shrimp locally. I can get nerites, I have had them before.

You may be able to gently "comb" out some of that hair grass algae IF plants have rooted sufficiently

It was pearling before the waterchange. I just did a waterchange and I have brushed some of it gently away with the net. I had to be careful but they seem to be rooted reasonably well given the time scale.

The 6 Amano shrimp are in. Should have bought more. It's a big job. The man in the shop thought he was doing me a favour by including berried females. I know they don't develop in freshwater, but I said nothing. The power head is too powerful. I need to get a small adjustable one. 20180613_190627.jpg

The diatoms also will die with Glut dosing but it should go away after the amanos and otos are done with it. Even snails will snack on it. Don't stress.

The shrimps are after outsmarting the fish for their food. I have read up about diatoms and it seems there isn't much to do except wait until it's gone. It seems like it's inevitable from new set ups. I seem to remember years ago putting purigen in my filter but if its going to go anyway I will wait it out.

Tank looks awful. Amano shrimp aren't eating much. You cant tell nut yesterday I vacuumed the hairgrass carpet during a twice weekly water change. I have never had it as bad as this. Is the co2 causing it?
20180617_140223.jpg

Today I'm doing another water change as I have been manually removing it. I'm so sick of it. It looks dirty and ugly. I have a power head to assist with water movement and as well as the internal filter I have a sponge air driven filter.

Auxiliary plants? Yea or nay? Which ones?

The fish dont seem unhappy, but the amano shrimp seem to lurk under the wood, then come out when I add food for the fish. They arent taking the algae removal very seriously and I am having trouble obtaining ottos. Each local shop has been without.

That does look nasty but definitely diatoms, yes co2 can cause plants to produce more waste resulting in diatoms but the regular water changes prevent this build up from becoming to much, so I would say no it is not co2 causing your issue.

Keep up with manual removal and regular water changes, make sure your filter is clean, its probably full of brown gunk also, the diatoms cant last for ever! Goodluck

The filter isnt full of brown gunk because twice a week I am rinsing the finer filter wool thing in tank water. I am not rinsing the sponge as this isnt particularly brown. I am doing water changes twice weekly and before I do them I disturb as much of the brown as possible so I can syphon it away. I have had quite a lot of new tanks before, but I the difference is, no LED lights before, and no pressurised CO2 before. I set up both of these things because I wanted a hairgrass carpet. I have this now, but its clogged with brown gunk. I am leaving some brown gunk in on the bottom half of the back wall, on the wood and on some plants as if all goes well my otocinclus are coming on Wednesday, and a few more shrimp and nerite snails. I am hoping these will get on top of the problem.

Back