• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing E.I macro after water change

James Bamford

Hi guys,

I'm 3 weeks into my first high tech tank set up and have just started the EI method instead of liquid ferts and just wanted to know if it is detrimental to dose my macro ferts today straight after my water change as it is specified on the instructions?

I'm asking as I've seen conflicting opinions, some saying that the water conditioner used at water change can have an impact on the ferts? I'm using Seachem Prime currently.

Thanks in advance,

James

Some dechlorinators will also remove nitrate (and ammonia and nitrite) thus potentially could remove some of the nitrate. However I wouldn't worry about the possible amount lost and just keep it simple and dose away.

Hi guys,

I'm 3 weeks into my first high tech tank set up and have just started the EI method instead of liquid ferts and just wanted to know if it is detrimental to dose my macro ferts today straight after my water change as it is specified on the instructions?

I'm asking as I've seen conflicting opinions, some saying that the water conditioner used at water change can have an impact on the ferts? I'm using Seachem Prime currently.

Thanks in advance,

James

Prime does bind the metals. So you may want to skip on the Fe+Traces dose for the Prime dosed 24 hours but this is only optional. It will not do anything to your macros: nitrates, phosphates, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulphate. So go ahead and dose them as much as you like, right after your water change.

As mentioned by the other posters, this is never something you'll ever need to worry about. Dose any nutrient mix at any time and simply carry on. The nutrient level introduced by EI is at such a high level that any losses are negligible.

Cheers,

Back