• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Got the itch again and need a new tank

Deano3

Hi everyone hope everyone is well, I have been a member on here for years and been lurking a lot lately, I had a ada 60p but always had problems and also the kids came along so had less time for the tank etc.

The kids are now a better age and are in bed for half 7 so should always have time for maintenance etc.i sold everything I owned last time as was decorating the whole house and no room for anything so I need to start again with aquarium tools and décor and everything. I would love a larger tank like a aquascaper 600 but currently don't have budget or the room for such a tank and to be honest I am worried I can not get a tank going properly as last time I had good filter and light and co2 and plants never properly grew :(.

I am thinking either a ADA mini M size aquarium or a 30cm cube (aquascaper 300) and I am thinking to try high tech or medium to high tech as want a stunning faster growing aquarium and will want minzi wood and rocks etc.any opinions and advice welcome what you think is best size and any easy maintenance filter (previously had g6 fluval what I loved)

thanks again Dean

If you're going smaller and budgeted, I would think about getting one of the chihiros led with dimmers, getting whichever size suits the tank you prefer :)

This gives you a lot of flexibility on low/high tech, as opposed to fixed setting led's, which are highly limiting. ADA mini M is a stunning tank, I've seen some beautiful aquascapes done on it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one :)

thanks aqua and I know I cannot decide on mini m size or 30cm cube :banghead:, prefer and rectangle shape and I would love a large future tank like 120cm or so but want to make sure can master a nano first and don't want huge expense of large tank then fail again.
Had some amazing aquascapers helping me in past trying to find out why wouldn't work but never got to bottom of it and plants never flourished even with high co2. I know smaller water volume is harder but I do have 2 children and a smaller tank means quicker maintenance and water changes but I am torn.:banghead:

is there ever any group buys on manzi any more ?
thanks Dean

Welcome back Dean. I am also back after a bit of an outage at home.

Currently designing a Dennelle scapers tank in my kitchen which Ill be putting pics up of soon.

If you want a Mini-m from the UK then sadly they are sold out at the main distributer Greenmachine. There may be some in the shops that still stock ADA but Greenmachine are winding down and selling everything up.

I was in there yesterday and they do have the Do-Aqua Mini-m versions (float glass but very good silicon) left at £21.50 plus delivery which is a steal - https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/do-aqua-cube-glass-36-x-22-x-26-mini-m/

They are also selling most ADA kit off half price so you can pretty much fill the tank for a lot less at the moment. They have the Aquasky 361 LED lights for £72.50 - https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/ada-aquasky-361/ which go great with the mini-m

Their hardscape is also half price so the ADA horn wood is now a bit more affordable than it was and worth a look. Alternatively Aquarium gardens sell Manzi wood if you are after that.

No affiliation with TGM, just a long term customer. Don't think the kit will hang around long either as I got an Aquasky moon 361 for £90 the other week but they've all gone now

wow thanks for reply's everyone and stu I was looking at your mini m set up again yesterday what a stunner absolutely amazing.i really hope I can get a setup to work, only thing I held onto is my dupla regulator.

I really keep thinking should I wait until can have a larger tank but like I say I am worried it doesn't work and spend a fortune so think smaller tank is best way to go and the mini m size seems good,will look on green machine later at the glassware and I see lots of people been using twinstar lights lately aswel. also is green machine still going to be online ?

been looking at books aswel anyone read any of james findleys book or his new one or takashi amanos latest or final one ? got the nature aquarium world 1 2 3 and complete works but love the books.
stu what was your secret to getting mini m working so well and flourishing ? water change and co2 and ferts

thanks again Dean

It’s nice to see you’re getting back into something you enjoy mate!
I failed my first attempt and just kept fish and anubias!
Like you I’ve had a lot of things happen! Two children even though ones 3 weeks old! Hahah but my other boy whose 16months absolutely loved sleeping in front of the tank, made him fall asleep don’t know if it was the water noise or anything but it relaxed him so much it was amazing especially struggling with Collic!
I’m now planning to buy the Aquascaper 900!, Biomaster Thermo 350 or 600! And co2 inject! Twinstar 900E Lights! I’m sure the saying is to go big or go home!!
Good luck in the future mate!

Well been thinking and thinking and thinking i may go low tech, georges low tech looks great and less maintenance, still stuck beetween 30cm cube or mini m , hhhmmmm what you think ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well been thinking and thinking and thinking i may go low tech, georges low tech looks great and less maintenance, still stuck beetween 30cm cube or mini m , hhhmmmm what you think ?

Cubes are a pita to scape. Go with a mini-m

Re scaping the nano tanks. If you’re going low tech you’ll need to reduce the light output from the big leds. I usually smash loads of co2 into my high tech nanos at the beginning and keep them unstocked. Shrimp seem to do quite well in high co2 if you add them as a clean up crew.

thanks stu ok no more cube talk defently going with mini m size.i am thinking maybe low tech as should be easier and Georges looks great on his youtube channel, but I can always change mind and decide high tech. any suggestions a filter ? prefer a external filter that is easy to maintain etc and really like the LED lights like the twinstar and ada one that fits perfectly on tank but not sure if these are dimmable ? still not sure of hardscape as so many ideas I see and want to imitate however I can always do one and change after few months etc.

Is there a way to go sort of medium tech and have planted but use ferts and liquid carbon daily ?

defently want some green neon tetras or maybe smaller fish eventually
Thanks Dean

Been really thinking and dont want to spend money on all equipment for nano then want a larger tank soon so, even though i failed to get my ada 60p and f going properly and plants never flourished i am thinking i may save the money and have another go .

Maybe go for the aquascaper 600 as its a nice larger looking tank but not to big. Would have to purchase every single thing as i sold everything last time as didnt have room and wasnt sure would ever try again. Only thing i still have is co2 dupla reg.

Would maybe purchase a fluval g6 again etc but hopefully works this time. The kitchen were it will be going is tiled so hopefully will be ok on floor as not the most even but will level with spacers etc but hope doesnt bend or damage the cabinet , and hope the reason it didnt work before was amout of ambient light as Windows at both sides of room.

Any opinions welcome
Thanks dean

What are good brands ? Remember everyone buying NA aquariums but cannot find any, obvioisly aquadcaper 600 and dont think can get ADA 90p anywere now any recomenedations ? Going for a larger aquarium and doing it properly for sure. Going to start buying things soon, looking forward to it.

The Aquascaper tanks complete with cabinet (preassembled) & free delivery get my vote :D
(price is amazing compared to my local)

I think the (old) TMC tanks are grand too BUT for the black silicon issue & no options any more
(makes one wonder if there's a secret warehouse somewhere chock full of leftover tanks ;) )

NA went through some buyouts etc, then released again, the original manufacturer was selling via eBay a while back ...

I have been thinking aquascaper aswel 600 would love 900 but nore money and risk as i have never been able to master the planted aquarium but this time i am thinking easy plants like crypts and anubias etc also think 900 would need 2 filters etc, ADA 90P is amazing but not sure if that would need 2 filters and would have to make cabinet again etc so bit more work.

So hard to find NA aquariums now and ada even hard now, only thing about the aquascaper 600 is its practically a square i know this makes good for scaping but takes up more room but dont want another 60p, would love a longer tabk say 90cm .

So many decisions, will most likely go for 600 as budget etc

90P is fantastic dimensions (I have 90 x 45 x 53 (tall - fish love it but more $$$ to set up with lights etc))
Note TGM appears to still have a 90H in stock but that's a very tall tank - even ADA doesn't seem to both with 90H displays - for that money, I'd go back to EA 600

FWIW I run an Eheim Pro 4 - 350 which works fine as long as you're conservatve with hardscape (no cliffs :D)

I would likely set up 2 Eheim 350 on the EA 900 BUT believe George Farmer has several set up with OASE 600 thermofilters (confirm in his client tank videos, also AG displays)

Thanks for help alto, yeah he does use them filters i was looking at them bot sure beetween them or fluval g6 , wish i never got rid of all my equipment and manzi wood and landscape rock etc but wasnt meant to be coming back to it , and never had room at time.

Does anyone do bulk buys of manzi any more as fortune buying individual bits

Thanks dean

Thanks for help alto, yeah he does use them filters i was looking at them bot sure beetween them or fluval g6 , wish i never got rid of all my equipment and manzi wood and landscape rock etc but wasnt meant to be coming back to it , and never had room at time.

Does anyone do bulk buys of manzi any more as fortune buying individual bits

Thanks dean

You could contact Tom Barr directly on Facebook. He sells and ships big boxes of Manzi. You could probably make your money back by picking the pieces you want then selling the others on eBay.

If you are after a custom tank near to 60p then have a word with Nick Chan of aquarium cabinet solutions. He did me a custom 45cm which has perfect silicon on it plus he does cabs. He’s on Facebook or I’ve got his contact details.

You could contact Tom Barr directly on Facebook. He sells and ships big boxes of Manzi. You could probably make your money back by picking the pieces you want then selling the others on eBay.

If you are after a custom tank near to 60p then have a word with Nick Chan of aquarium cabinet solutions. He did me a custom 45cm which has perfect silicon on it plus he does cabs. He’s on Facebook or I’ve got his contact details.
Thanks stu , thats who i got it from last time tom barr, i dont have facebook any other way to get in touch or find out how much for a box full ?

And think i will go for aquascaper mate as easy and cabinet etc all ready.

Would you go for oase filter or g6 ?

Thanks dean

I've got a larger tank running the scape and plants are gorgeous and shrimps are thriving but moved hom eso im downsacling, I got a little ADA from green machine the littel cube and the 30x24x18 are a great price, got with the ADA light looks gorgeous. Think lot to be said for the prices of the EA aquascapers with cabinet, way more reasonable than ADA prices.

Wish GM still had 60P on stock i'd love one of those

Are there no other ADA stockists in the UK?

Back