• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Got the itch again and need a new tank

Thanks stu , thats who i got it from last time tom barr, i dont have facebook any other way to get in touch or find out how much for a box full ?

And think i will go for aquascaper mate as easy and cabinet etc all ready.

Would you go for oase filter or g6 ?

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Try his forum directly if you do t have Facebook. https://barrreport.com/threads/manzanita-this-year.14278/

Re filter I’ve always fancied getting a g6 for the handy cleaning. Not tried an oase filter sorry

Try his forum directly if you do t have Facebook. https://barrreport.com/threads/manzanita-this-year.14278/

Re filter I’ve always fancied getting a g6 for the handy cleaning. Not tried an oase filter sorry
I had a g6 and sold it wish i kept hold now so you think try and get in touch from there, i will tonight after work is he based in uk ? I had a boc last time from him but got rod of that aswel, dont worry wont happen again.

The oase filter has a easy claen pre filter aswel and heater i think. Thought fluval would have upgraded the g zeries to include heater etc by now.

I had a g6 and sold it wish i kept hold now so you think try and get in touch from there, i will tonight after work is he based in uk ? I had a boc last time from him but got rod of that aswel, dont worry wont happen again.

The oase filter has a easy claen pre filter aswel and heater i think. Thought fluval would have upgraded the g zeries to include heater etc by now.

Tom bar is in the US. Prices will vary depending on the size of box. I’ll have to look into the oase. Sounds like it has some good features

found a great bargain today so just purchased a fluval G6 (again as had one then sold it) only 3 weeks old so practically brand new should be here next week.

going to just keep buying bits and bobs until ready for tank and cabinet, need absolutely everything, few co2 fire extinguishers all hardscape set of tools etc any tool recommendations welcome.
need EI kit and the list goes on but would love some hardscape like manzi for now.will see if can contact him someway on his forum. is he not a member on here ?

thanks Dean

Re importing wood for aquarium purposes, this has become less "easy" than a couple years ago - shipments with correct paperwork have been turned back at borders, while others manage to go through ... make sure that Mr Barr is aware of these changes & has current documentation

Well done on the G6
- does warranty remain in effect?

Re importing wood for aquarium purposes, this has become less "easy" than a couple years ago - shipments with correct paperwork have been turned back at borders, while others manage to go through ... make sure that Mr Barr is aware of these changes & has current documentation

Well done on the G6
- does warranty remain in effect?
Yes apparently hasnt been registered yet so will when arrives and i am really wanting some manzi but dont really want to join toms forum and just say i want some manzi as will look cheeky. So not aure how to go about it yet

Is he a member on here ? Or do you mean on his forum ? Hos forum actually seems really good.

I am a member of this forum and planted tank but i never go on thwre but his also seems good and active.

I am in no mad rush as only have filter but would like to get my bits slowly and might take some time to get some manzi so just forward thinking.

Thanks dean

Did you click on the link ;)
haha thanks for that mate it didn't work from my phone it restarted tapatalk so I just tried on laptop, I didn't realise that was his username or should I say I couldn't remember. I have sent him a message and hopefully he gets back to me thanks very much for the help really appreciate it.

need to start buying everything from tools (surely a kit including scissors and tweezers etc somewhere for sale ) to EI kit etc, never again will I sell or get rid of things, I am determined to have a thriving tank. do you think why it never worked and plats never grew much could be anything to do with ambient light as kitchen very light and comes from both sides ?

thanks Dean

I can't guess really
I think this time around, it's important to choose someone to emulate (closely) & not get distracted into taking a bit from here, & a bit form there ...
Eg, if you start with ADA soil etc, then use ADA methods to establish the tank - which includes lean dosing rather than EI type fertilization
Tropica is fairly similar - like ADA they have a method they've put into their 90Day App

Anywhere you look, George Farmer, Jurijs mit JS, ADA, Tropica, Green Aqua, AquaFlora (Filipe Oliveira - hope you manage to get to his workshop today or July 1 (Destination Aquatics)) etc - all plant very heavily from the start

If you're short on plant supply funds, then do a combination dry start, wabi balls etc so as to have lots of healthy plant mass upon flooding
Then run high CO2 for the first weeks until plants have decent amount of thriving submerse growth
If there's much ambient light, run CO2 24/7 - lower levels CO2 during non-photoperiod, then increase as usual for photoperiod

As an example of plant growth despite dim lighting - hence benefit of CO2 non-photoperiod -
I moved some Rotala H'Ra to my under the stairs alcove tank - it's been barely growing, sparse tiny green leaves despite decent CO2 & fertilizers & light
Tank is only dimly lit until LEDs come on BUT the R H'Ra is always "closed" & would barely open despite running lights 100% from 6pm - midnight

I finally took notice that despite the very limited light, the H'Ra was "open" before noon & usually "closing" by 5pm - this didn't reverse just because I turned on the lights

This past week I've finally switched tank over to noon - 8pm photoperiod & the H'Ra is finally beginning to look like ... well ... H'Ra (with ~3cm new growth)

I can't guess really
I think this time around, it's important to choose someone to emulate (closely) & not get distracted into taking a bit from here, & a bit form there ...
Eg, if you start with ADA soil etc, then use ADA methods to establish the tank - which includes lean dosing rather than EI type fertilization
Tropica is fairly similar - like ADA they have a method they've put into their 90Day App

Anywhere you look, George Farmer, Jurijs mit JS, ADA, Tropica, Green Aqua, AquaFlora (Filipe Oliveira - hope you manage to get to his workshop today or July 1 (Destination Aquatics)) etc - all plant very heavily from the start

If you're short on plant supply funds, then do a combination dry start, wabi balls etc so as to have lots of healthy plant mass upon flooding
Then run high CO2 for the first weeks until plants have decent amount of thriving submerse growth
If there's much ambient light, run CO2 24/7 - lower levels CO2 during non-photoperiod, then increase as usual for photoperiod

As an example of plant growth despite dim lighting - hence benefit of CO2 non-photoperiod -
I moved some Rotala H'Ra to my under the stairs alcove tank - it's been barely growing, sparse tiny green leaves despite decent CO2 & fertilizers & light
Tank is only dimly lit until LEDs come on BUT the R H'Ra is always "closed" & would barely open despite running lights 100% from 6pm - midnight

I finally took notice that despite the very limited light, the H'Ra was "open" before noon & usually "closing" by 5pm - this didn't reverse just because I turned on the lights

This past week I've finally switched tank over to noon - 8pm photoperiod & the H'Ra is finally beginning to look like ... well ... H'Ra (with ~3cm new growth)
Thanks for that alto, firslt i agree i wonder instead of EI if i should dose tropica etc wont be able to get the full Ada Ferts etc but may use Ada soil and as for plants i will stock heavily.

Also i didnt know about the workshop, would love to attend one but i am all way up new newcastle.will try and get to one at some point.

Looking forward to getting started but be a good few months yet just going to buy all the bits then the tank last.not sure weather to go gloss whiye or anthracite matt.

I never left my co2 on 24.7 but might have been worth a shot at the time. Reading through my takashi amano books at the minute aswel for a bit inspiration. Quite like layouts with sand in front then rocks all along front then planted above but defently want manzi and landcape rock.

Anyway agree i may try tropica instead of EI for my daily dosing at least until see growth, need to get some barrels for water changes etc aswel and i am keen to know how people heat up there water before add into tank ? I used to use my mixer tap on a hose straight into tank then add the water purifier.

Thanks dean

TGM has the ADA fertilizers on sale - just pick up what's suitable for the first 3 months (sounds as if you've the ADA Amazonia already)
Or if you've not got the aquarium soil, wait on deciding

I do water changes straight from the tap, (using a python system), just set my temp a couple degrees cooler than the tank & refill (fish can more easily accommodate a sudden drop in temperature than a sudden rise)
I add Prime (diluted into ~ 300ml) for entire tank volume (adding extra Prime when I can smell the chlorine blasting out of the tap)
I have the filter running during water changes - though flowrate is turned down & directed against the glass to prevent substrate disturbance

If you can't make the live Aquascaping events, just watch the live feed online (often done through both FB & YouTube)
- YouTube version generally remains available after the event but Live means you can ask questions as it goes along

I've watched most of Aquarium Gardens Filipe Oliveira event now - definitely worth the while as he talks about what he does, demonstrates techniques (volume is on the low side so need a quiet room ... or better speakers than my iPad :oops:)

TGM has the ADA fertilizers on sale - just pick up what's suitable for the first 3 months (sounds as if you've the ADA Amazonia already)
Or if you've not got the aquarium soil, wait on deciding

I do water changes straight from the tap, (using a python system), just set my temp a couple degrees cooler than the tank & refill (fish can more easily accommodate a sudden drop in temperature than a sudden rise)
I add Prime (diluted into ~ 300ml) for entire tank volume (adding extra Prime when I can smell the chlorine blasting out of the tap)
I have the filter running during water changes - though flowrate is turned down & directed against the glass to prevent substrate disturbance

If you can't make the live Aquascaping events, just watch the live feed online (often done through both FB & YouTube)
- YouTube version generally remains available after the event but Live means you can ask questions as it goes along

I've watched most of Aquarium Gardens Filipe Oliveira event now - definitely worth the while as he talks about what he does, demonstrates techniques (volume is on the low side so need a quiet room ... or better speakers than my iPad :oops:)
thanks for great fast reply's again and I don't have and soil yet but I have always purchased decent soil like ADA aquasoil but wait till have other bits and bobs.

I think I seen the python system in youtube vid but will look a again after typing this, in the first week when doing daily water changes do you not bother with cleaning plats etc and just to get all the bad bacteria out of water Colum and adding fresh and also oxygenating the plants.

will the event be on aquarium gardens page on youtube ?

thanks Dean

Have you thought about getting some Ada hornwood from Tgm now it’s half price? You could probably fill a 60cm scape for a hundred quid at the moment and it will be cheaper than shipping manzi over
had a look but prefer the look of manzi, I have spoke to tom (plantbrain) and discussed price etc and he said he will sort box out for me so looking forward to getting it sorted thanks stu

Back