• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil A80 or Twinstar 450E

mooncake

Hi all,

I'm slowly accumulating equipment for two tanks (one ADA 60p and one ADA 45h) and I've reached a block when it comes to deciding on the light for the 45h. I'm debating over a twinstar 450e and a kessil A80. They both cost the same, except for the additional cost of a dimmer for the Twinstar, but I'm not sure whether one should be standing out as the better option. I know with the Kessil I'll get shimmer and shadow, and from what I've seen inside the London Aquatic Design Centre of Kessils, they do look beautiful. But I'm a little worried about light overspill. A small halo-type effect isn't a problem, but if there's a huge overspill then that could be a bit annoying. On the other hand, as I think the Twinstar would make the tank look brighter overall, I'm concerned it could look a bit washed out in comparison to using the Kessil. Annoyingly I can't find somewhere I can get to in person to compare them side by side!

The 45h is obviously quite a deep tank, and as it will be home to a betta who won't appreciate high flow, I probably won't be able to keep the highest demanding plants, but I am hoping for healthy growth with the addition of liquid carbon and ferts. Possibly later on down the line I'd add co2 but for now I'm starting that out on the 60p only.

If you had to kit out the same tank, can I ask which of the two you'd go for?

the additional cost of a dimmer for the Twinstar
I have a dimmer which is also a timer that works with the Twinstar; £10 posted if you're interested?

I have had both lights (Kessil and Twinstar) and I do prefer the Twinstar, they are just more simplified but that doesn't mean to say they're better.
I have both the S and E models running at the moment and if you aren't going for plants that have the highest demands then I think the E series is more than adequate, mine is dimmed to around 60%.

Hi
Go for the twinstar unless you like the kessil which make your tank look like a disco ball. Too much shimmer for my liking.

Cheers
Ryan
I'm thinking that the shimmer effect won't be quite as noticeable as in other tanks, as the tank will have fairly low flow. But I'm a little hesitant to go for it still.

I'm going for a Twinstar on my 60p, so thought the Kessil might make for a nice change. But I'm still ultimately wavering between the two!

I'm thinking that the shimmer effect won't be quite as noticeable as in other tanks, as the tank will have fairly low flow. But I'm a little hesitant to go for it still.

I'm going for a Twinstar on my 60p, so thought the Kessil might make for a nice change. But I'm still ultimately wavering between the two!
Cool. 1 thing that i didn't like about my kessil a360 tuna sun they dont make red plants pop at all until i change to a ADA RGB. not sure about the new a80 but definitely twinstar will make them reds

Back