• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hyallella Ateca (Scuds)

Azteca you mean i guess;)
I have got them, i distributed them to all my tanks and have one tank to "maintain "the colony. As far as i know they are very sturdy and can take all kinds of water. Only thing is they eat plants if you don't feed them enough. I give cucumber slices/parts depending on amount of scuds in the "stock"tank.
In the rest of the tanks they are around, but never in huge amounts. Feeding them hard will increase numbers. I introduced a swordplant in a bare tank with some number of scuds and the gradually ate the living plant.
So: I advise to keep a "colony"and add from that in the tank, not to large numbers and the fish will keep the numbers down as long as there is hiding spots.

Thanks Edvet,

I've been keeping them in an 18 inch cube tank, there are pieces of wood with Java Fern and Anubias etc growing on them and a substrate of shredded cattappa leaves. I feed them on zucchini slices and vegetable tablets for corys.

I can see some males that have found females to cling on to so expecting something from them. To be honest I was hoping to have enough to use as a live food source for my discus fish, but at this rate it will take forever.

Just wondering how long it will be until I can take any out, but at the moment there seems little point.

Cheers

Back