• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pathway to Rio Negro 864L (biotope)

Thought I'd post an update :)

Much has happened, since I steered more and more toward tannin stained water. In the end the only plant that worked to my satisfaction was the Brasilian Vesicularia Montagnei.

Current population:
4 L 091 (Rio Venturari)
4 L 075 (Amazon Basin)
6 L 201 (Rio Ventuari)

20 Corydoras Duplicareus (Upper rio negro)
200 Cardinal Tetras (Rio Negro/Orninoco, I added 100 and they didn't school. So I added another 100, and they started schooling)

I installed a Maxpect Gyre 250 to increase the flow/oxygenation. Its a monster, and I run it on only 10-20%.

In the end you could call it a "North West Amazon" bio. Or a mix of Orinocco Basin/Rio Negro. I'm happy with the result, and life is happy in the tank. I will start mixing in RO water this summer, and up my game a bit.

Here are the pics after 18 months after setup:
IMG_0031.png

IMG_0032.png

IMG_0004.png

IMG_0013-kopi.png

I'm working on a new 360L Rio Xingu setup, which I will post about shortly. Also did a Nano Borneo "bio" with 6 Brachygobius Xanthozonus. Bonus pics:
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Last edited:
Did you take the big stone out or am I looking at it from another side? I liked the big stone.

Love your big tank! I like that you have started with a group of fish species that you wanted to keep and have looked to build a both natural and beautiful environment for them. Exactly what I have tried to do. I just wish I had your discipline in avoiding too many plant species and in stopping adding more fish species!

Great tank! The moss and lights make a very dramatic effect.

How is the sand to keep clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really liking the the natural tannin look, I've been wanting Altum Angels for a long time and your setup looks ideal for them. Are you planning any such fish for your setup?

Good point, I've no first hand experience with them so any info is great. I am planning a big tank for Altums but first i need to have a massive garage sale to rid all stuff i have hoarded over the years to fund the "big one". Cheers for the heads up on the Altums voracity Edvert.

Back