• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you turn your CO2 off when you go on holiday?

peaches

Do you turn your CO2 off when you go on holiday? Its running well at the moment and the plants look great, but I am scared for when I go away for 2 weeks. No one to come in to check. The cylinder has been running about 3 weeks so there should be plenty in it. I just have a worry about equipment failure and a load of CO2 being dumped to kill my fish. I have an autofeeder which I load with the absolute bear minimum of Prima. It will have been in place a month when I go away so I know its working. Sometimes in the past I have left no food at all when its only a week, but for 2 weeks I use an autofeeder. But I dont know what to do with the co2.

I just turn my lighting period and consequently CO2 period and ferts dosing down when I go away. Been away for over 5 weeks before without too many issues, other than plants didn't looks as green as they should be when I got back.

Originally I built a dosing pump to dose ferts whilst away in 2012, controlled by standard time switch.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-dual-peristaltic-dosing-pump-with-alternate-switching.22332/

I now use a PLC to control the tank, so switching to holiday mode is just a setting. Job done.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-use-a-plc-to-control-your-fish-tank.42993/

Personally if I am away from more than a week or 2 i just reduce the lighting period / intensity and keep co2 the same, less than a week or two I just leave everything as is and try get someone to feed the fish and dont worry about ferts

Sitting beside the tank tonight after co2 solenoid went off I smelled a smell of gas. It smelt like an unlit gas ring. I have no gas in the living room only in the kitchen so I thought co2 and checked the tightness of connections etc but still smelled something beside the tank. When I stood up the smell went away. I turned it off as it's pretty late. Will have a look tomorrow. All searches say co2 doesn't have a smell. Is there a smell from a fire extinguisher co2 if it leaks?

I keep everything similar except reduce light by 20%. Give a good trim before I leave. I also have an 'auto' top up using my dosing pumps and estimation of evaporation(about 1L daily). Ferts and feeding is auto.

Is there a smell from a fire extinguisher co2 if it leaks?
No. I emptied a part empty FE with horn attached, into a cloth to deposit solid CO2, which I then lumped together to dropped into warm water to make masses of fog.... Don't remember any smell.

Back