• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oto behaviour

jameson_uk

I bought six otos about 18 months ago. One didn't survive acclimatisation and one vanished a long time ago (I actually thought all but one had vanished but all four revealed themselves the other day).

These oto seem to spend almost all their time on the back of the Squidward's house which is right at the back of the tank.
76f37fe43bcc94eda82edc84503b1d44.jpg

I bought another three the other day and they have exhibited all the behaviour I originally saw from the first batch. They are visible (even during the day), sitting on plants , moving up the glass etc.
e67faf02db8049d7bd42ebd3e214c1b9.jpg

I had put the older oto's shyness down to
  • The big SAE which was being a bully. I rehomed him but no change.
  • Too much light. The new oto's don't seem to bothered by it and since switching to LEDs I have cut down the intensity and the covering of frogbit is pretty much total
  • Not enough food. There are four nerites in the tank which seem to clear anything on the glass but the old otos look healthy and have not really shown much interest in algae tablets, courgette, spinach ... The new ones seem content on the glass and leaves

All look pretty healthy but the difference in behaviour is very noticeable. Should I expect the newer ones to eventually settle down and go into hiding most of the time or is there anything I can do to coax the others out?

I find Ottos tend to just have a favourite spot, why that is I have no idea. Lot of people say their Ottos won't take veg, still can't work out why this is. Mine used to love cucumber, when I put a piece in it was the only time I could make sure they're all there but these days I maybe see the odd one on it unless they're eating at lights out. In my case I've had a population explosion of RCS which cover the cucumber when it first goes in, I think the Ottos don't like the hassle of pushing them all out the way. maybe the same with your SAE? In general they tend to sit on the glass just behind the filter intake, nothing in particular for them there they just seem to like that spot.

Are they different types - there is more than one species and I think some have slightly more out going personalities. Mine have a been a little more shy recently too. When I upgrade I want to try a shoal of 15 or so and some look a like cories and see if that makes them bolder.

I think if they get peace and there's something to eat in the vicinity they just hand about in the same place. Every now and again they will have a little mad spurt. They're quite shy as well I think. Last count I had 8 or 9. I'll be lucky to see four max, whether it's the same four I don't suppose I'll ever know unless I strip the tank down.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

They can't get a look in at cucumber for these cockroaches
fdd5a6bb3035ec4056ff8081ca56d253.jpg

Now compare that to when they had the tank to themselves pre explosion.
c205b866b237f776e0bfd80fd7526095.jpg
97a7742a8dfc6502cc874fb4e4a5c8b7.jpg

Are they different types - there is more than one species and I think some have slightly more out going personalities. Mine have a been a little more shy recently too. When I upgrade I want to try a shoal of 15 or so and some look a like cories and see if that makes them bolder.
The LFS did have some "Black Otos" but I am fairly sure both sets have the same markings (will try and get another look later but I think the tail markings say they are O. macrospilus).

Probably best to get a load in one hit regardless of species. Ups the chances that they came from the same batch. I've bought three different groups so no idea how to tell them apart. Sometimes they look different just because they are nervous. Some seem to have stripes while others look like a tiger sort of effect but again it depends what mood they're in.

I think if they get peace and there's something to eat in the vicinity they just hand about in the same place. Every now and again they will have a little mad spurt. They're quite shy as well I think. Last count I had 8 or 9. I'll be lucky to see four max, whether it's the same four I don't suppose I'll ever know unless I strip the tank down.

I had four and would rarely see one (to the point when I ripped apart the tank trying to catch my SAE I was convinced there was only one left). The new three are very visible (which I am sure the original lot were too)

They can't get a look in at cucumber for these cockroaches

My amanos do bully most things out the way but I did add some at both the front and rear of the tank (right next to where the otos hang out) and the amanos seemed quite happy with the front lot but the back lot was barely touched.

Just seems such a big difference between the two sets. I suspect the newer ones will end up settling down but I don't think there is enough room on the back of Squidward's house for all seven

My amanos do bully most things out the way but I did add some at both the front and rear of the tank (right next to where the otos hang out) and the amanos seemed quite happy with the front lot but the back lot was barely touched.

The problem I have with my Amanos which are also in the setup is my Ottos didn't like many algae wafers but seemed to prefer the Hikari mini wafers, the Amanos are a size now that will just grab a whole wafer and take off with it regardless of where I put them. The Otto's need to compete for their food these days and I don't think they like it.

Just as a bit of a journal...
Nine days in and the new oto's are still very visible and can be seen on the glass and plants. The old group are still just hanging out on the back of Squidward's house.

The older group do seem to all hang out together where as the new oto's seem to spend most of their time foraging alone. Not sure the two groups have ever really met.

The problem I have with my Amanos which are also in the setup is my Ottos didn't like many algae wafers but seemed to prefer the Hikari mini wafers, the Amanos are a size now that will just grab a whole wafer and take off with it regardless of where I put them. The Otto's need to compete for their food these days and I don't think they like it.

My oto's also keep to themselves and don't try to compete. Exception is when I give Sera spirulina tab, once a week stick it to the glass. They come hang around, mixing in with all the other fish and big Amano to try and get some.

Last edited:
I
Just as a bit of a journal...
Nine days in and the new oto's are still very visible and can be seen on the glass and plants. The old group are still just hanging out on the back of Squidward's house.

The older group do seem to all hang out together where as the new oto's seem to spend most of their time foraging alone. Not sure the two groups have ever really met.
I have 4. 3 hang out together, mainly in the front glass at night. One is a loner .Not sure why? Maybe he is doesnt like the same music?

One of my ottos trying to muscle in on the Pepsi challenge. Seeing if the inhabitants prefer courgette or cucumber, seems like they aren't fussed either way. At least the Amano can't take off with these!

58d48225d5d3b8dc5fdaecb48b301dac.jpg

My otos are shy but they do come to the front. I want more but LFS haven't had any for weeks. I am beginning to regret the Amano shrimp a little. They steal small wafers I put in for otos and tablets I put in for Cory. I even get my pincers and deliver the wafer to the oto and Cories but they take off and the Amano louts pick up the wafers and take them to their lair.

Another update. Two are still visible all the time. They don't seem bothered by anything and are sometimes up in the frogbit roots and in some bright areas too.

Not sure if I have lost one of the new ones or whether it has become more reclusive.

I did see some new ones next to the old ones and I am not sure if the tail markings are slightly different. I did not think all otos exhibited similar behaviour but perhaps they are different species and some are more active than others.

Have plenty of photos of the new ones but spotting the old ones is far more difficult....

I have a collection of Otto's that are pretty much completely nocturnal, If I come down a night there happy cleaning the glass. When I first put them in the tank they spent the first week eating like mad day and night. before settling into only coming out at night. Tank is heavily planted so they all just completely disappear during the day. occasionally if i'm doing some heavy maintenance i'll see them. There are no large fish in the tank for them to behave this way..

Another update and I am currently sat watching six otos quite happily grazing round the front of the tank (filter is off for a few minutes whilst I am feeding).

I noticed one of the old ones was starting to hang out with two of the newer ones a few weeks ago but today is the first time I have ever seen them all (presume I have lost one of the new ones).

Oddly nothing had changed (well intentionally anyway) but the old ones which spent the best part of a year just sat on the back of the ornament are now showing themselves.

I wonder if the new ones have brought them out, it has been long enough since I removed the SAE that they feel safer now or most likely, something I will never be able to work out....

Back