• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soaking Spider Wood

BarryH

Setting up a spare tank and first time using wood (Redmoor Root). I appreciate the wood needs to be submerged for sometime to make it waterlogged but I'm not sure if I can soak the wood in plain tap water, rainwater or if I need to add something like Seachem Prime to the water to remove the chlorine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Chlorine is actualy a gass form, it should be gone from the water if left standing a periode of time.. usualy 24 hours should be enough, if you aerate it with an air stone than sooner. But if you have rainwater than why not use that.. :) You can also weigh them down in the aqaurium and just wait till they are logged, in my experience it's a mater of a few days and some pieces within a few hours. Than perform extra water changes if you dislike the stained water coloration.

Some of the UK has chloramine added too which doesn't gas off - your water report will say. In that case doesn't hurt to add some prime but I wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue. Reusing some old tank water from a water change would work too.

Oops, ninjaed :)
Chlorine is not a problem, it will gas off. Treat your tapwater if there's anything nastier in it, chloramine, pesticides or whatever. Rainwater is fine if you've got plenty. :)

Back