• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to view your tank when youre away from home

peaches

Is it possible to set up the camera on my laptop to view the aquarium whilst Im away from home? Then log on to somewhere and see a live picture of what is happening? I know people do this for security but I just wondered if it was possible.

Yes that should be possible, you need a decent camera, if you don't want it permanently wired to the computer you need an IP camera. You could live streem to youtube, this is also possible.. Or life stream to your personal IP via https.

But than you need to figure a few things out, nowadays with all the wifi stuff we basicaly all have a router/modem. A modem can be approached directly from the www. with your ISP adress. In case of a router you need to set this up with the correct router setting e.g. port forwarding to the correct internal IP adress. Because a router always creates an internal network behind your public address.

Example: Your ISP gives you an IP address something like 82.13.344.155.. So if you are on the www somewhere else you need to fill in that number in the browser to get to your modem. Behind your modem you have a computer or 2 computers that each get an internal address from the router behind the modem. 198.167.0.2 and 198.167.0.3 for the other. Than you have to set to the router, if an external request for entry comes at port 8080 you need to route this reqeust to 198.167.0.2, if you set nothing the router doesn't know what to do and it is dropped. No entrance. But set correctly you reach the port 8080 web interface of the camera set on the specified computer. Or depending maybe directly to the camera if it has its own IP in the network.

Easier for you would be to stream it externaly, youtube for instance or other video streaming hosts, payd or free that's your choice. :) But that's likely les private especialy if free.

You could use webcam software, remember to set it to 'always on', people using it for security often set it to 'motion sensor'.
Or you can use VNC (or RealVNC, TightVNC, VNC Viewer etc), Teamviewer or similar, which lets you control your laptop from another pc or smartphone. This gives you complete access, not just the camera. I use VNC, it works well, but I want to try Teamviewer, as I understand you don't have to leave your machine on, Teamviewer can wake it up remotely, which sounds good.
There are free versions of these, as well as paid versions with more features, but the free ones do the job.

Webcam tutorial; https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-webcam-home-security-system

Teamviewer is very nice for that.. It's free for personal use.. Than aim the web cam to the tank and leave to computer running.. Set it not to fall asleep. Set teamviewer to run as service and give instant administrative access. It gives you a personal code.. Install teamviewer app on your mobile phone and you can connect via teamviewer to the PC and see whats going on.. Teamviewer also has a special video conference feature you might be able to use..
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Nice thing is you need no additional settings for it.. Teamviewer blasts to any firewall or router without problem and is safe..

I have Arlo cameras all over my house and I have one pointed right at my tank. That way I can log in anywhere anytime and see what’s going on. It’s been extremely useful as I’ve seen the tubing had popped off the diffuser and I can quickly turn off the lighting remotely so I don’t get an algae bloom.

I have a canary camera that I point at my tank and can watch from my phone remotely. Also have a nest camera that watches mover the main room so I can track target scale changes.

Back