• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy to rear live foods?

Wulfen

Hello all.
Could anyone recommend some easy to rear live foods that would suit Apistogramma, Panda Cory, and possibly Green neons or similar small shoaling fish?
I would like them to have the best diet I can supply.
Cheers

daphnia. mine lives in a 4 litre vase on the windowsill. no filter, no airstone I put in too much powdered algae yesterday for food and I think it's all died but in a few weeks some eggs will hatch, hopefully, and I'll get more. This has been going nearly a year. I started it a bag from the LFS.
Pandas like frozen bloodworm.

daphnia. mine lives in a 4 litre vase on the windowsill. no filter, no airstone I put in too much powdered algae yesterday for food and I think it's all died but in a few weeks some eggs will hatch, hopefully, and I'll get more. This has been going nearly a year. I started it a bag from the LFS.
Pandas like frozen bloodworm.
Many thanks. I'll look up daphnia breeding and maybe see if my lfs does some live to get me started.
I have a couple of very old aquariums stored away. Just plain class no lids etc. One is only around 18" should be good for breeding them :)
Can blood worm be raised at home do you know?

This time of year stick a bucket of water outside and you'll end up with mosquito larvae in no time. I've a 5l bucket, only about half full as lacking rain atm and between those and a scoop out of a bag of daphnia from the LFS there is a nice colony of tasty stuff - I think I spotted a few blood worms too.

This time of year stick a bucket of water outside and you'll end up with mosquito larvae in no time. I've a 5l bucket, only about half full as lacking rain atm and between those and a scoop out of a bag of daphnia from the LFS there is a nice colony of tasty stuff - I think I spotted a few blood worms too.
Very good idea. I wonder if you can mix a bag of each in a large container?

Mosquitos and blood worms are fly larvae so won't reproduce from the LFS bags... they'll hatch into flies. There are already plenty of flies about so if you leave a bucket laying around they'll introduce themselves.

Daphnia's whole life cycle is as a water creature so you can multiply those starting with a bag of live ones from your LFS or from dried eggs. They can all live mixed together in a large container though. If you want to keep them separate then you'd need to cover the daphnia container or you'll have mozzys in it whether you want them or not!

Mosquitos and blood worms are fly larvae so won't reproduce from the LFS bags... they'll hatch into flies. There are already plenty of flies about so if you leave a bucket laying around they'll introduce themselves.

Daphnia's whole life cycle is as a water creature so you can multiply those starting with a bag of live ones from your LFS or from dried eggs. They can all live mixed together in a large container though. If you want to keep them separate then you'd need to cover the daphnia container or you'll have mozzys in it whether you want them or not!
Cheers for the info. Ill just add the daphnia and let nature do the rest. I like the idea of harvesting lots of different types of live food at the same time.

Having some buckets outside, with a bit of old leaves, wil indeed provide you with black mosquito larvae and some red ones, they will also hatch and go for your blood. My missus doesn't like that, she tips all of the buckets:(
Daphnia can survive well in larger containers in the shade (they don't like heat) with some plant debris. Lot's of info on the web f.i.:
For indoor cultures can be set up for white worms ( enchytraea), grindal worms ( smaller, do wel in slightly warmer conditions) or micro worms ( good for fry). There are a few other small creatures that can be cultured.
The internet is your friend.

I would advice the same as Tam, the out door bucket works a charme, make it 2 buckets to double the harvest. Put some leaf litter in it and or some life moss from the aqaurium if you have or a bunch of elodea from the lfs. Put it in a shaded spot.. Relatively early in the summer your bucket willl be teaming with all kinds of mosquito and fly larvae. Depending on the feeding intervals and how often you scoop larvae out for example if you go every day or every other day, you might sometimes need to wait a week again for new eggs to hatch. Having 2 buckets works there for better because you can have one bucket resting while harvesting the other. This way you have the whole summer free food till the fall. And you might find having more moss than you hoped for after the summer. :)

Having some buckets outside, with a bit of old leaves, wil indeed provide you with black mosquito larvae and some red ones, they will also hatch and go for your blood. My missus doesn't like that, she tips all of the buckets:(
Daphnia can survive well in larger containers in the shade (they don't like heat) with some plant debris. Lot's of info on the web f.i.:
For indoor cultures can be set up for white worms ( enchytraea), grindal worms ( smaller, do wel in slightly warmer conditions) or micro worms ( good for fry). There are a few other small creatures that can be cultured.
The internet is your friend.

Was looking at this vid last night! Just love youtube :) I have 2 heavy plastic containers that i can use. They are the heavy duty storage box around 20L x 14D x11H inches. I have a spot in the garden that only gets very late afternoon sun, should be ideal :)

Microworms/walterworm easy to culture with sliced bread or ready brek. Smells a bit. Gammarus little shrimp things (think I got that right) will breed in your tank if you introduce them*, vinegar eels a little more messy but not difficult. Brine shrimp are a bit more hard work but I used to do them for angelfish fry first food. You can have a big tub of water in the yard for blackworm larvae then just go out with a net and catch them. *good for when you go away, but more for adult fish.

Microworms/walterworm easy to culture with sliced bread or ready brek. Smells a bit. Gammarus little shrimp things (think I got that right) will breed in your tank if you introduce them*, vinegar eels a little more messy but not difficult. Brine shrimp are a bit more hard work but I used to do them for angelfish fry first food. You can have a big tub of water in the yard for blackworm larvae then just go out with a net and catch them. *good for when you go away, but more for adult fish.
Many thanks Peaches. I was looking at a great vid last night on the vinegar worms

I keep microworm cultures going, very easy tho does a get a bit stinky and rotten after a month or so, but very easy to keep alive and you just create a new culture and dispose of the old rotten mess every month or so.

I just use quick oats, never had a culture crash! The worms are tiny but probably ok for the fish you are keeping

I've just started a grindal worm culture from ebay, something like £2.99 and it's been very easy, using moistened dry dog food believe it or not lol

I feed grindal worms and enchytreaea with soaked (quality) dog kibble, i feed most of my small fish with that alone.I believe it to be very healthy food, also stay alive in the tank for a while ( 12-24 hours) so fish have more chance to find it and less chance of rotting food in the tank.

Many thanks all.
Thank you all for the great ideas! I will try to raise all of these foods to provide a varied mixed diet for my fish.

Back