• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best method to secure wood in the tank?

Wulfen

Hello all.
I have seen various methods on youtube including boiling wood, attaching rubber suckers and quite a few other methods.
I have seen wood that has been soaked for weeks still float when put in a tank.
Can aquarium silicone be used to glue the wood in place once it has had a good soaking?

I wanted to get some wood to 'stand up' so before I got it wet I secured it to a solid slate floor tile with stainless steel screws and aquarium safe silicone.
I never did plant it up due to a change of plan but it is still something I intend to use.

20180124_153946.jpg

Fast and strong

Cheers Nigel
Do you think this method would work for larger pieces of wood attached to the bottom glass?
Image of the actual wood I will be getting below
River wood.JPEG

I wanted to get some wood to 'stand up' so before I got it wet I secured it to a solid slate floor tile with stainless steel screws and aquarium safe silicone.
I never did plant it up due to a change of plan but it is still something I intend to use.

View attachment 116825
Really good way to get lots of vertical space :)

Cheers Nigel
Do you think this method would work for larger pieces of wood attached to the bottom glass?
Image of the actual wood I will be getting below
View attachment 116832

wow nice hardscape ;) I like it

This method works really good if you put the cig filters in crevices between wood and object X. On bottom glass I am not sure if there will be nice crevices to put cig filters in. But try it! You will feel by yourself if it is firm. This method can hold heavy seiryu stones together so it is pretty strong. If you want it even stronger you can add on top of this method baking soda with crushed stone. This would make it even stronger (according by Indonesian people).

wow nice hardscape ;) I like it

This method works really good if you put the cig filters in crevices between wood and object X. On bottom glass I am not sure if there will be nice crevices to put cig filters in. But try it! You will feel by yourself if it is firm. This method can hold heavy seiryu stones together so it is pretty strong. If you want it even stronger you can add on top of this method baking soda with crushed stone. This would make it even stronger (according by Indonesian people).
Haha It was Dave of Aquarium Gardens doing a fine job of picking out wood for me then setting it up in a sandbox before sending pics via email :)
Maybe attach the filter to the glass first then attach some to the wood, bit of glue and happy days :) Its well worth the try for sure :)

You can use a piece of egg crate on the bottom and then glue or cable tie to that, the weight of the rocks around it will keep it weighed down.
Cheers, another good idea :)

Haha It was Dave of Aquarium Gardens doing a fine job of picking out wood for me then setting it up in a sandbox before sending pics via email :)
Maybe attach the filter to the glass first then attach some to the wood, bit of glue and happy days :) Its well worth the try for sure :)

Haha it looks good man. Try it and let us know if it works!

Haha it looks good man. Try it and let us know if it works!
Will defo give it a go. Hoping to order all my equipment and tank from Aquarium Gardens beginning of next week. Everything will be coming in one shipment I hope, so I can get to work on the hardscape as soon as it arrives.

Will defo give it a go. Hoping to order all my equipment and tank from Aquarium Gardens beginning of next week. Everything will be coming in one shipment I hope, so I can get to work on the hardscape as soon as it arrives.

Good luck. Don’t rush the hardscape take all the time of the world.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Just silicone it or secure it with a cable tie to a rock and your done. With the cable tie thing you can move it around. And that can be helpful sometimes.
Another good idea. I was curious as to whether just silicone alone would work.

Will the "Gel" type of Super Glue work at all? I think there is a waterproof version, not sure though.

Back