• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A little gloat... amanos

I thought you were going to tell us you had bred them in your community tank!

I read an article ages ago by Nathan Hill of practical fishkeeping, discussing how amano's breed in saltwater or other, but he claimed to have bred them in freshwater. Bit of a curiosity

I read an article ages ago by Nathan Hill of practical fishkeeping, discussing how amano's breed in saltwater or other, but he claimed to have bred them in freshwater. Bit of a curiosity

They breed in freshwater but in nature the larvae are washed down the streams and into the sea. The larave grows in the sea before coming back to freshwater where it will live and breed.

I believe the eggs hatch in freshwater, but in nature the larvae get swept downstream to brackish, then salt water, where they develop and they migrate upstream as adults.

I was told that shrimps closely to amanos and sometimes sold as amanos do breed in freshwater. Not sure if this is accurate or mythology!

Amanos are currently going for 4 pounds each in my local shop!

I was told that shrimps closely to amanos and sometimes sold as amanos do breed in freshwater. Not sure if this is accurate or mythology!

Amanos are currently going for 4 pounds each in my local shop!

They breed in freshwater but the larvae are released and swept downstream, out to see. The larvae need saltwater to grow up before they return back to freshwater.

Back