• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carbon Filter to remove medication

drjack

Hi, I have seen contradictory advice on this question. I now want to remove Cupramine medication from my 180L Juwel tank using a carbon filter pad which is fine. The filter turnover is 1000 litres/hour. How long should I keep the carbon filter pad in place to ensure it has removed all the medication? Is there a formula or rule-of-thumb for this?
Kind Regards, David

Read through Seachem’s product page & FAQ

- there’s likely more detailed information on their discussion board as well

If you’re concerned re shrimp, I’d use Cuprisorb or marine grade carbon as both are going to be rather more efficient than those carbon coated filters

Hi Alto... thanks for the reply and especially the steer on marine grade carbon, I will check those out.
Kind Regards, David

Seachem recommend a week, but they probably assume you are using good quality carbon, not pads which may or may not be any good.

I found this point from Seachem page worth repeating

Leave the copper-absorbing media in your tank for at least a week after the copper concentration has reached 0 to ensure all traces of the medication have been completely removed.

Seachem notes the importance of measuring copper levels in the water column when treating with copper based medications and when removing residual copper at end of treatment

If you don’t have a copper test kit, I’d suggest several large water changes followed by active carbon

Alternate method (re fish disease handbook etc)
75% water change upon discontinuation of copper treatment - this can also be done as two separate 50% water changes on consecutive days (if you don’t usually perform large weekly water changes, this is a more conservative approach)
Add fresh activated carbon (marine grade generally has a “dose” recommendation)
After 24 hours, replace with fresh carbon
After 48 hours, replace with fresh carbon
Leave this third carbon “dose” in place for a week

Note there is no disadvantage beyond time to performing this method over a couple weeks, ie, refresh carbon after 2-3 days etc, the large water changes can also be spaced, just be sure to perform another large water change just before adding carbon

I’d further suggest 50-75% water changes before each new batch of carbon

Copper is very difficult to remove completely from an aquarium containing substrate & decor (which is why it’s recommended to perform copper treatments in a bare hospital tank)

Most fish are fine with residual copper levels
Most shrimp tolerate residual copper (ie after carbon “clean up”)
Some shrimp can be very sensitive to residual copper (eg, wild Sulawesi shrimp)

Back