• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which Moss to go for?

TBRO

I’m planning a very branchy scape:

141c5c4b43394c8ae7fd883e54a865bf.jpg

I want most of the wood covered in moss. I really like the mossy branches featured in ADA videos. What moss do they use? Is it just plain Java Moss?

Looking at some of my old journals, I recall I had a lot of “weeping moss” has a very fern like appearance

4ab26cdb8014d92881f73f398769f5c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Nigel!

Moss is always a tricky subject often hard to tell species apart and even the same species can look quite different depending on light, CO2 etc.

Is this what you would call Willow Moss https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/...a---willow-moss---tropica-1-2-grow-1897-p.asp

Looks like a terrestrial moss by structure.

I’m trying the your yoghurt method with some rocks and fissidens, not going so well yet, lots of mould! Have found a liking for Greek Yoghurt

Thanks Nigel!

Moss is always a tricky subject often hard to tell species apart and even the same species can look quite different depending on light, CO2 etc.

Is this what you would call Willow Moss https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/...a---willow-moss---tropica-1-2-grow-1897-p.asp

Looks like a terrestrial moss by structure.

I’m trying the your yoghurt method with some rocks and fissidens, not going so well yet, lots of mould! Have found a liking for Greek Yoghurt

Yes that one. I think Ada trims it very short after planting.

How much yoghurt did you use? Only use very little only a tea spoon max. And increase ventilation. Mold shouldn’t be a big problem then.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks, I might try totally open air for the yoghurt moss. I was thinking one of those cheap, solar power pond fountains would be ideal for keeping the rocks wet.

Looking at some you tube vids, plain old Java moss can look really nice, when well maintained.

Think I might buy some samples and see how they look under my lights...

To completely not answer your question..... that hardscape looks great :) I love how the wood appears to have 'landed' on top of the stone.

Back