• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wabi bowl experiments

Nubias

9D91D99B-1BF5-49EC-93C2-D6E0AE9341B8.jpeg
027DD50C-8A4D-4F4C-BEA7-5795DF4F3AF8.jpeg
So set up a little wabi kusa bowl yesterday to have a play as I can’t find room for a second aquarium yet

Ikea Bowl/vase
Ryuoh stone
Gold vine ?
Laplata sand
Power sand special
Amazonia

Plants were all tissue culture, not sure how they will go emersed but will see. Everything is a bit small at the moment being TC. Natural filtered sunlight.

Staurogyne
Ludwigia Glandulosa
Glosostigma Elatinoides
Riccia ...
Also some spikey moss from main tank
Tiny little bit of random duckweed

What sort of maintenance should I be doing? Water change or just top up as evaporates? Tiniest amounts of liquid fert ?

What does everyone do?

The idea is nice and looking good.. Tho the looking good part is not very long lived.. The problem you might run in to with so much water in a glass bowl as a mini swamp with stagnant water is (salt) residue, dirt and algae on the glass. Even with enough water changes this is inevitable. Than you will have a hard time to keep it nice and clean and presentable as is now.. Since it is so small and curved and deficcultly accessible for proper maintenance. You probably will distroy more than you clean in the end. :)

It would be easier on yourself and even beter looking to get all the water above the substrate out and small emesed form plants in. With glass bowls than fertilize gently via the substrate and spray only with demineralized water to prevent salt staines on the glass.

than you end up with something looking like this.
dscf7628-jpg.jpg

That was my last wabi bowl experiment.. And i can tell something like this without standing water is already a pain to keep nice and clean.

This glass was even more a pain in the neck to clean if it got dirty.
dscf7615-kopie-jpg.jpg

If it does show staining inside than best is cotton sticks dipped in vinegar and try not to touch plants and rub the glass till it's clean. Toughing the plants with someting acidic as vinegar will cause damage. Been there done that.. :) You can not get in with a hand and a sponge..

Thus prevent the glass staining in the first place..

Good luck.. :thumbup:

Last edited:
0405C0A9-0B17-4622-A9B0-354C062EBD37.jpeg
Thanks for the tips and nice wabi bowl. I had already thought about reducing water level so may let evaporate naturally.

Had a left over stone and vessel so made a more terrarium wabi as well with some plants from local market.

Realy nice little planted setups, looks great..

reducing water level so may let evaporate naturally
That's what causes the staining even more if it is fertilised... :)

I've learned to keep it as clean as possible is spraying exclusively with demineralised water.. And feed fertilesed water with a syringe into the substrate.

Back