• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something is wrong in my Neon Tetra mouth

Sirkavu

Hi guys!!

So..few months ago I saw something white on my Neo tetra fish, yet, I thought it was food in his mouth. Yet, from the last few days it grew a bit more.

I didn’t realise as I was very ill and honestly couldn’t focus as much.

These are the pictures below, does anyone knows what it might be and what can I do? Thank you I’m advance :)

7_FA349_C3_7146_45_E9_A024_C1_A5_A7_CF7_C30.jpg
3740_ECDA_C789_41_D3_A231_96_DBF61_AD2_FE.jpg
D9250_AEA_4_FF0_4575_8_E8_A_D9_C70_E174970.jpg

Looks like some sort of fungal of some sort. My neon tetras have had this also they get it on there sides aswel. Neons I have read are easy to pick up infections I have cardinal tetras aswel and never had a problem with them. As for my neons they get them sort of growths on them and I always do big water changes every week aswel at least 50% hope this helps. I have also tried meds aswel and nothing seems to work.

Quite possibly neon tetra disease, just type neon tetra disease in google and you will get a host of information.

Looks to be considerable tissue involvement
Isolate fish to hospital tank (limit spread to others tank inhabitants)
Potassium permangante dip to “kill” the external white gunk (whatever it maybe)
Medicated bath to try & combat the infection (which is internal as well as the external you see)

Treat main tank with lots of water changes - daily 50% if possible, cleaning any detritus
Medicated food rather than water treatment (you will likely need to prepare your own)

What’s available re medications?

In the UK look to Kusuri for a decent range of available medications

Unfortunately they don’t seem to offer their medicated food range any longer

Do you mean Myxazin P?
Active ingredients: malachite green, acriflavine etc

This would help but the pictured fish would still benefit (greatly) from the rapid action of a Potassium Permanganate dip prior to the Myxazin P treatment (much slower action on any fungus, bacteria etc)

Medicated bath to try & combat the infection (which is internal as well as the external you see)

Treat main tank with lots of water changes - daily 50% if possible, cleaning any detritus
Medicated food rather than water treatment (you will likely need to prepare your own)

Agreed!

While I don't doubt a Potassium permanganate dip may help it can be pretty harsh on an already pretty sick fish.
Even with lots of water changes to dilute the bacterial count in the water the tank still needs to be treated....I believe the myxazin P is the pond version,I would stick with the aquarium version myself.
Yet another reason why I won't keep Neon's,I seem to see posts about cottonmouth affecting these virtually daily on other forums:(

In my online search, there is also a Myxazin product which uses a pepper extract as active ingredient - which may have some general antibacterial activity but none that has been proven against actual fish pathogens
Myxazin P at least contains ingredients of proven efficacy (though not my drug of choice in case of actual columnaris)

PP dip done properly should not be overly stressful ... any medication is stressful to varying degrees (and sometimes unpredicted species reactions occur), though it is always a possible that an extremely ill fish will succumb to any stressful event - including just the netting & removal to a quarantine tank (in advance of any medical intervention)

In this instance, a short term PP dip will dramatically reduce external pathogens

Even with lots of water changes to dilute the bacterial count in the water the tank still needs to be treated
Yes
Hence my recommendation to follow up the water changes with a suitable medicated food - which is far more effective than any bath treatment

Not heard of any Myxazin product containing pepper.....as far as I'm aware the ingredients are the same but the "P" is a more concentrated form for dosing ponds.
Here in the UK we are fairly limited in what treatments are available,particularly those that can be mixed into foods and antibiotics are only legally available from a vet.

Cotton mouth/columnaris...your best bet would be to try Waterlife myxazin,what other fish are in the tank?
Hi MirandaB, I have 3 adult mollies and 2 babies (around 4 weeks now), 18 neon tetras, 1 pleco and 8 Amano (supposed to be 12 but can’t find the other 4).
No one seems to be sick or with a strange behaviour, including the “sick” neon.

The hospital tank I have I change the water every 3 weeks. No fish is in, few plants. Is this ok?

so I should put the fish in the hospital tank, and treat with the Myxazin P and PP?
With the main tank I should preform water changes (50%) and use medicated food?

I think I just got confused sorry bah

Also...a bit off.
I’m going on holidays tomorrow evening and I’m back on Wednesday evening. I’m a bit worried in regards my liquid CO2 and feeding. Also my EI. What should I do during these 4 days?
How do I ensure it has the CO2 needed and my fishes have food? I’ve read a bit about auto feeder - what do you think?

Thank you all

Were it me,I would feed the fish as usual day before you leave, and then perform a 50% water change and hour after they have eaten.
Turn lights off over the tank for the four days you will be gone.
Plant's and fishes will be fine for a few days.
When I returned, I would perform water change,dose the fertilizer and liquid carbon,and return lighting over the tank.

An alternative would be to reduce lighting to 50% and dose enough ferts etc for half the number of days you will be away :)

Back