• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid C02 (Glut) - is it dangerous?

Halley

I have 3 low tech tanks and I have started to use easycarbo again and my Anubias petite has taken offf. I dose easycarbo twice a day (as I believe the glut runs out when exposed to light). However, I have young kids and am worried that glut might be dangerous- any views?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in a bottle with child proof lid in a locked cupboard. Job done.

More fish are killed on this forum by kids getting access to fish food and dumping it all in the tank. So even food should be locked away.

Thanks - I meant dangerous to the kids not the fish!

What about the kids putting their fingers in the water?

It's definitely not something you'd want them to come into contact with straight from the bottle. Diluted in the tank is safer, but I've seen reports of skin reactions. I'd treat it as a chemical you don't want to let them have access to, but not too worried once it's in the water and dispersed. Someone mentioned bio-carbon the other day, not sure whether that would be a safer option you could try out.

Never heard of bio carbon - I wonder does it work?

Could you use bio carbon with glut?

I have asked the same question.. and been doing it recently... no one had said it shouldn't be done!

I think they are 2 different products so shouldn’t be a problem

What about the kids putting their fingers in the water?

It works both ways. And sticking fingers in the water should be avoided at all times if not necessary. Also for adults :)

Note: Always wash you hands before you put a finger in the water. This you do for your fish.. Than wash your hands when you are done sticking a finger in the water. This you do for yourself. Not a bad thing to use alcohol to desinfect your hands. Never mind the few mililitres of glute in it, it's harmless in such small concentrations..

But.... :nailbiting:
It aint as drastic as it comes accross and the outdoor world is even much more dangerous than our indoor aqauriums. But still you send your kids out to play in the garden.. But never the less causion and sanitary should always be respected.. Lately more and more cases of Mycobacterium infected fish also in aqaurium are reported. It's a bacterium that can cause a form of tuberculosis. Mycobacteriums have a lipolytic cell wall (Fatty cell wall) there for what roams freely in the water floats at the surface and multiply in the biofilm that accumelates at the water surface. So if its in the tank it's there where the fingers first touch the water.

So especialy for nose picking todllers their little fingers should never ever get into the aqaurium water. :thumbdown: :thumbup:

According to the attached MSDS a respirator and goggles should be used when handling glutaraldehyde.

I appreciate that we are handling it at smaller dilutions than commercial applications. Aquarists do use it daily though. I don't claim to know how this balances out.

Either way, I'll pass on the glut (not sure I can stop picking my nose so easily though :lol: )

Attachments

• msds.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 105
Back